Shipping 80lb amps.

I have an offer to purchase my 80lb  Odyssey Kismet Mono's  from a buyer in Alberta ,Calgary, Ca..  Shipping from Detroit area of Mich.  

As far as insurance goes. Buyer is going to pay but who's name should it be in for a possible future claim?

Any carriers to recommend? They would just ship in original packaging ( boxes) .

Thanks,

Russ 

128x128benzman

I don't know if it's been mentioned already above, but there's a good chance you'll get hit with US Customs duties, unless you pre-arranged that with the shipper. 

Yeah the correct answer is box it well. The original box was only designed to be shipped on a pallette with the other 50 boxes stacked next to it. Also shippers use less care these days. Just a sign of the times we live in. They wear headphones and are just not plugged into the job they're doing.

Don't: double box it with peanuts. Peanuts migrate.

Do: take a roll of HD bubble wrap and wrap it several times around the original box in 2 directions. Then find a 'heavy' box (strong cardboard) that it will fit in. Use foam/bubble wrap pieces to fill any gaps. There will be at least a 4-6" gap from the original box from the outer box. Then write fragile all over it with a thick red marker.

You will not need insurance with this type of packing. But never a bad Idea.

Use a freight company, palletize and strap the amps onto the pallet then shrink wrap over it so nothing can be placed on top of it. Fragile stickers can also help. Most importantly double box the amps.

Don’t forget to add ’do not stack anything on top’ stickers on the given package, otherwise they WILL stack stuff on top of your package on the given pallet. One sticker on each side, and one on the top. I’ve seen freight folks destroy $20k pallets of (goo systems) goods that way.

They'll try and deny the insurance claim, if the stickers are not easily visible from any given direction.

"Instead box it so they CAN'T break it."

No such creature. I once shipped a four foot by four inch diameter x 1/4 inch thick stainless steel pipe. UPS took the challenge and bent it. FedEx lost one of my Harbeth 30 monitors even thought shipped as a pair and labeled box one of two. The humor in it was they knew which warehouse it was scanned into, but could not physically locate the box.

Double box with double wall boxes, palletize, label "no top load" & "fragile" on all sides and insure it to value. Then photograph all sides.

Don’t ship anything in a box or case with a handle on it. With a handle, it’s like a personal challenge to the handlers to see how far they can throw it. I have seen dramatically less damage to items when any handle is eliminated. This even includes a Pelican case in which the handle was sawed off for such a reason.