Rose 150B or New Streamer???

Well, after many years without a decent stereo system I have purchased a Hegel 590 integrated amp and a pair of Revel 226be speakers. Because I want to keep things simple I need a streamer (I don't want to spend extra for CDs or new cd player, turntable, etc.). I am auditioning a HIfi Rose 150B and think it sounds good but there are some audio dropouts when connected to my LG OLED tv by hdmi arc. This is not for home theater setup and is stereo only. I don't need a streamer with amp or preamp and the Hegel has a nice DAC (or so I've been told). I have been using only the Rose DAC so far. I'm still investigating the cause of audio dropouts. Except for those I might not be considering something different.

So, is there a better choice for me in the same general price area as the Rose150? I could get a streamer without DAC and use the Hegel's DAC. I want to connect the tv to watch concerts in stereo so I may need the hdmi. I also like the ability of the Rose to send audio and video to the tv through the hdmi output. I listen to a wide variety of music except for rap and opera (I can take a bit of opera).  have a couple of weeks to consider. Thanks for any suggestions.

wmbray123

The Rose is fairly unique in that it has HDMI capabilities to connect your TV.  However, since you are listening in stereo, if your TV has another digital out for sound, then you don’t need the HDMI.  If there is another digital out from the TV try connecting it to an input on the Hegel and see what you think.  If that is satisfactory then you can get a streamer dedicated to music only.  The Hegel DAC is by all accounts pretty decent so I would just get a streamer sans DAC

I am auditioning a HIfi Rose 150B and think it sounds good but there are some audio dropouts when connected to my LG OLED tv by hdmi arc.

This is an instance where it might be the cable - especially so if it's a long run. Try a swap if you have a second HDMI cable handy. As a last resort, here's a link to a list of HDMI cables that were evaluated using a machine that is built to test for adherence to industry specs.

Most TVs have optical digital output nowadays. Another option would be to connect your TV's optical digital output directly to the H590.

I also suggest contacting Rose to see if they've encountered this problem before and have a fix via firmware / software update.

Hope this helps.

I was looking at the Rose - gorgeous and well made item.  I decided I wanted a separate dac and steamer.  Alot of people go with a lower priced streamer due to the ever changing environment for software and apps as well as other factors  . . .  and put the money into the DAC.  

Some DACs have a analog input that accepts an analog signal into, such as from a TV or AVR.  Some Benchmark DACs have this feature so you can pull an audio signal from the tv stream into the DAC and then send it out to amp/speakers while still preserving the two channel audio path.    

@wmbray123 

Come to think of it, I guess you could also connect the optical digital output of the TV to the Rose as well.