Rose 150B or New Streamer???

Well, after many years without a decent stereo system I have purchased a Hegel 590 integrated amp and a pair of Revel 226be speakers. Because I want to keep things simple I need a streamer (I don't want to spend extra for CDs or new cd player, turntable, etc.). I am auditioning a HIfi Rose 150B and think it sounds good but there are some audio dropouts when connected to my LG OLED tv by hdmi arc. This is not for home theater setup and is stereo only. I don't need a streamer with amp or preamp and the Hegel has a nice DAC (or so I've been told). I have been using only the Rose DAC so far. I'm still investigating the cause of audio dropouts. Except for those I might not be considering something different.

So, is there a better choice for me in the same general price area as the Rose150? I could get a streamer without DAC and use the Hegel's DAC. I want to connect the tv to watch concerts in stereo so I may need the hdmi. I also like the ability of the Rose to send audio and video to the tv through the hdmi output. I listen to a wide variety of music except for rap and opera (I can take a bit of opera).  have a couple of weeks to consider. Thanks for any suggestions.

wmbray123
Post removed 

The Rose is fairly unique in that it has HDMI capabilities to connect your TV.  However, since you are listening in stereo, if your TV has another digital out for sound, then you don’t need the HDMI.  If there is another digital out from the TV try connecting it to an input on the Hegel and see what you think.  If that is satisfactory then you can get a streamer dedicated to music only.  The Hegel DAC is by all accounts pretty decent so I would just get a streamer sans DAC

I am auditioning a HIfi Rose 150B and think it sounds good but there are some audio dropouts when connected to my LG OLED tv by hdmi arc.

This is an instance where it might be the cable - especially so if it's a long run. Try a swap if you have a second HDMI cable handy. As a last resort, here's a link to a list of HDMI cables that were evaluated using a machine that is built to test for adherence to industry specs.

Most TVs have optical digital output nowadays. Another option would be to connect your TV's optical digital output directly to the H590.

I also suggest contacting Rose to see if they've encountered this problem before and have a fix via firmware / software update.

Hope this helps.

I was looking at the Rose - gorgeous and well made item.  I decided I wanted a separate dac and steamer.  Alot of people go with a lower priced streamer due to the ever changing environment for software and apps as well as other factors  . . .  and put the money into the DAC.  

Some DACs have a analog input that accepts an analog signal into, such as from a TV or AVR.  Some Benchmark DACs have this feature so you can pull an audio signal from the tv stream into the DAC and then send it out to amp/speakers while still preserving the two channel audio path.    

@wmbray123 

Come to think of it, I guess you could also connect the optical digital output of the TV to the Rose as well.

I was also having dropouts with LG OLED and in my case it was the ESS 9038 chip that did not like the noisy signal coming from the TV. My dac had the option to set the ‘window’ of digital signal tracking employed by the DAC chip. The lower the setting the tighter the window, which would result in brief signal dropouts, but at the highest setting it was fine. I wonder if the Hifi Rose also lets you change these settings? You might want to give it a try.

The NAD C658 has dirac room correction and you can get an upgrade module to include HDMI that plugs right into an expansion port in the back. If you don't want room correction the Cocktail Audio N25 also has an HDMI port.

IMO room correction is extremely significant in a decent room.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I'm still looking at a replacement and have seen suggestions for the newish Cary 650 and the 432 EVO. I may abandon my search for hdmi if I can use a toslink cable successfully for two channel audio from the tv. I may return the Rose because of the hdmi issue and difficulties in figuring out certain operations, such as transferring music files to internal storage.

I notice I'm not the only one with audio issues (dropouts) using the Rose 150b connected to an LG OLED tv. So I decided to switch out the LG tv for a Samsung connected to the Hifi Rose and there were no audio issues. I used the same cables, inputs outputs, and settings, changing only the tv. It seems the problem may be with LG or Hifi Rose, or the communication between the two by hdmi.