Is there such a thing as a FOREVER DAC/streamer?

I know I might be talking about rehab in a back alley, but here it goes.

I've been looking to upgrade my Hegel H390's internal DAC. But I would only do it to knock it out of the park; as the Hegel's internal DAC does an admirable job. So the question is, is there such a thing as an end game-forever DAC. At the end of the day, DAC is a digital product. Digital technology evolve quicker than analog technology. 

Will that Lumin X1, Bartok, Dave, etc be obsolete in 3 years? Thus making this a moot conversation...

gpixels

I would say that for those 75 or older, a DAC bought today would likely be FOREVER.  Below that age it will become outdated.

@kota1

I have always found plateaus that I am really happy with for seven to ten years. Where I have no interest in upgrading… I don’t want to screw up the synergy created between all my components. I read The Absolute Sound and Stereophile… etc. but have no desire to upgrade… just enjoy my system.

Then for no obvious reason I get interested in upgrading one piece… the one I perceive to be the biggest opportunity. I never do less than 2x or 3x investment so it makes a significant difference. But that triggers upgrading many or most components… then interconnects and power cords, then vibration. Then I am happy as a clam for another 7 - 10 years.

Clams are happy? Why is that?

@gpixels 

That is purely a subjective question, it depends on user preference.  Spend more you’ll get more.  If one is satisfied with the sonics and/or $ spent then likely they will stop.  
Digital audio, like most technologies, does not stand still.  

@ghdprentice , you find you groove, you know it could be "better" but there is always a risk it could be less enjoyable too. I found that once I got my room just right and upgraded my room correction software, my system was "good enough". Thanks to other members here I learned that to get a decent step up a better dac would be least $5K and I still don’t know if I would prefer it over what I have now, maybe it would be not as good a fit.

At my age I don’t think there is a forever DAC.

However as technological change is rapidly accelerating I would say

not. I would not rely on a DAC to rely on to give me the ongoing audio pleasure I would be happy with. Only my opinion, and it has been discussed on this forum many many times, layer you system by importance. Speakers, then the rest as you feel. My speakers will out last me and they were not cheap. Like cars, electronics will trickle down ( say from F1 or the best Merc or some such) the best will be affordable sooner than speaker technology. Only my opinion. :)