Thoughts about the "Cheapaudioman" on YouTube

This gentleman has stirred up some controversy in the audio world over on YouTube. I personally, find him very interesting.  What are your thoughts?

mr_m

How can you evaluate cheap components without the context of valuable components? This cheap component is better than this cheap component isn’t really much of a comparison. At the end of the day if a component isn’t competitively priced it won’t sell and will fall by the wayside. If I were to step into that arena I would have to define cheap and match the brand that way. The "less than $100 audioman" or $1000 or whatever. Check the EISA awards, they call it "best value" and contrast it with "high end":

https://eisa.eu/awards/hi-fi/

I see cheapaudioman as an audio reviewer for the blue collar guy, maybe the average audiophile. There are plenty of reviewers for the white collar guy (who has a bigger cash wad to spend). And of course the ridiculous reviewers who rate $20k cables. I say to each his own.... and just enjoy the gear and the music.

Sounds like maybe he is just trying to help the everyday man get better sound.... not undermining "audiophiles"?

I would assert you do NOT have to be an audiophile these days to get top notch sound. Future Fi gear like all-in-ones solve most all of the system building problems for people. Then its just the usual things, tweaking the sound in the room, choosing speakers, etc. to one's personal taste. Most people are not in the hifi olympics looking to win gold medals at any cost.

I’ll take a look if I get a chance and see.

@mr_m having seen the material, what is your assessment?

I enjoy watching Randy's videos for stuff of interest - I like his personality. Although it's kinda silly that he is not allowed to pronounce the name 'Schitt' as it should be. 

I think his videos are great for beginners or those on tight budgets.  The info he provides can also be useful to seasoned audiophiles/ enthusiasts just looking for some budget friendly gear when putting together secondary systems, gifts for others, etc.  I don't think we should be gate keepers to new people or those with limited budgets.  I've seen this in other hobbies, as well, unfortunately.