High Sensitivity Speakers that work best with SS

In general, most all "high sensitivity" speakers I have heard or read about seem to do best with tube amps. Is that pretty much always the case? Anyone have experience with any "high sensitivity" speakers that in general work or sound better with SS amps than tube amps ?
128x128mapman
JBL L-300 is a high efficiency speaker that works well with all types of amplifiers. It works with low and high powered solid state and I also used the L-300 with a 14 watt SET amplifier (Mastersound) with excellent results. There are several efficient speakers from the 1970s that work well with solid state amplifiers also. One in particular is the Pioneer CS-99A. Another speaker for tubes or solid state is Electro Voice Wolverine 2 way with 12" woofer.
I have had a few tube amps paired with my Lascalas, but prefer the control and background silence of my modified 50 wpc Yamaha pro amp driving them. To me, it is a match in heaven (of course, there are other variables). I have never had a "mega" tube amp, simply because of funds, but I am sure a "great" tube amp would have me go back to tubes. Always,Mr.D
Atmasphere, I doubt you have ever had the opportunity to actually measure the Daedalus speakers or do a direct A/B measurement with Duke's 95 db speakers so your comment appears to be based on sonic memory.

these speakers have been tested in a sophisticated, professional lab and my specs are solid.

you may note that in 2011 Galibier showed in the large 11th floor room at RMAF using his pair of Ulysses and 1 watt SET amps!

check Scott Faller's 2011 RMAF show review: in
Enjoy the Music

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/rmaf_2011/faller/page2.htm
Greetings all,

I was pointed to this thread and the reference to our room at the 2011 Audiofest.

One thing has become clear to me is that the Daedalus speakers will mirror what you throw at them.

Having had extensive experience with the Atma-sphere MA-60's and the 1 watt Serious Stereo amps driving them, I can honestly say that both amplifiers serve the speakers well, albeit slightly differently.

One watt 'll do ya, if you don't have a huge room and don't listen to death metal or Wagner at "proper" volumes.

At the other extreme, there's the absolute control you get from 200 watts of s-s, but depending on the amp, you may give up some of the harmonic envelope that we perceive as tone color.

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice. Nothing new here.

I've always been a tube guy and so my leanings are toward the Serious and the Atma-spheres. Having said that, the ModWright designs convey the musical sensibility of a designer who knows what real music sounds like. They get the harmonic envelope right, and I can easily understand why they are Lou's amplifier of choice.

At the Newport show 2 years ago a friend dropped after hours, and brought with him a Who album. He wanted to see how close to concert volumes we could get with the ModWrights driving the Daedalus. Well, I put my 25dB musician's earplugs and we let 'er rip ...

The Deadalus' didn't flinch.

You see ... both Lou (Daedalus) and Ralph (Atma-sphere) come from a pro-sound background where two key parameters to be met are high sensitivity AND power handling (in speakers), and of course, reliability.

I find myself gravitating to guys with this philosophy - especially the sensitivity and reliability part. Same thing goes for Duke, for whom I have the utmost respect.

So, unlike many speakers, your amplifier choices for Deadalus are limited by your imagination. How often can you say that about a hi-fi component?

Disclaimer ... I know and like all the folks referenced above.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
I`m not surprised the 1 watt SET amp sounded good(within limits). The Daedalus is a good speaker and will reveal the quality of that low power amplifier rather than mask it. I`ve heard them with the Modwright SS amp and the result was pretty good. However every time I`ve listened to them driven by a quality tube amplifier they just were better,more alive,engaging and natural.The tubes seem to bring out the music`s emotion in these speakers to a higher degree.
Regards,