Preamps can color sound considerably. Surprising?

Had the pleasure of listening to 4 hi end preamplifiers this weekend. And each preamp sounded very nice. But they were different. Each preamplifier has different circuitry and within the frequency spectrum there was more vibrancy in some areas versus other areas. Amplifiers are the same way.

It takes a while to appreciate sound differences between preamplifiers. And then you got the issue of Breakin which further changes the color.

clearly designers are playing around with all the internal circuitry in a manner that hopefully will be appealing. Clearly, these units do not get out of the way when it comes to moving a signal through the box.

I think solid state is more susceptible to coloring versus tubes. Tubes color sound as well.

It's all about marketing different ways to color Music. This isn't necessarily bad but it's never really talked about this way.

jumia

It‘s funny how people argue about this subject. Attenuation and amplification are fundamentally different and the simple fact of the matter is that dacs only require the former. So what may be useful in amplifying a phono signal with rare exemptions become distorition when a dac is used.

But one can also just use an amp as a buffer to change impedance.
If the DAC does the volume, and not other things need to be switched, then one does not need the attenuation nor the amp.

One of the rare exceptions is to drive the cables better to the amps, should the output be driven to very low listening levels. If the OP is not using horns and a high gain amplifier, and not listening at a low level, then they have less to consider.

But which arguments were you referring to?

More than anything else a good active preamp will provide a more 3D soundstage.Of course they have to synergise with the power amp to do that but when you get the combination right it can make the difference between a good sound and a really great one.It is simply sounds more involving because it is revealing more of the stereo effect that is encoded in the recording.It is higher resolution.

Some active valve preamps will add tonal colour and some are tonally neutral.Some SS active preamps add tonal colour too.It is just a matter of finding the one you prefer.

I have found the Supratek 6SN7 based preamps to be tonally neutral.Very clear and open and 3D but neutral.I have heard SS preamps that sound very similar but they are very high end Swiss designs that cost 4-5 times as much.

Your pre-amp and your speakers account for most of the systems SQ.  The "Tone" of a system can be changed with different cables...power cords....and power conditioners. That's why we are always Tweaking.....

BAT preamps are my reference. I’ve had 5 of them, and never had a bad one. I appreciate the “color” of a BAT. Same with a Threshold T2 and T3 Preamps. Old school I know, but they were very good products. I’m stuck in the past.