Best DACs under $7,000.00

I'm tentatively beginning the search for a DAC upgrade.  Currently, I have Innuos Zen MK3 as a streamer connected via USB to a Denafrips Iris DDC that is connected via I2S to a Denafrips Pontus II DAC.  The Pontus II is excellent but I feel it's the one point where I could gain incremental improvement toward that illusive natural, layered, analog end-of-the-rainbow.  I simply can't / won't spend above $5,000.00 - $7,000.00 on the DAC. The rest of my system:  top-of-line Prima Luna Evo 400 Integrated Amp and a set of Harbeth speakers.  Right now, I'm looking at Denafrips Terminator II or Holo Audio May DAC.  I've never seen an a/b comparison of these two, but both stand out and have a following.  Of course, the unsettling thing is DACs have evolved so much and are still in a blooming state technologically, making it a given that whatever we have today will probably be surpassed by better for less later, like electric vehicles. But that's the nature of the beast.  Does anyone have alternative suggestions in this current climate?

gregjacob

To audphile1:

Thanks for taking the time to share advice.  The higher-end Bricasti with network looks great and losing boxes and connectors would be welcome. As the discussion has progressed, of course, the temptation is to up the ante to try and reach a different level. It might be worth it to just hold with the equipment one has for a while longer, save up more and leap upward to a more worthwhile change. Thanks so much.

To chowkwan:

No, you are the first to put forward the Crane Song DAC.  So much of what is reviewed, esp. professionally, will focus on larger manufacturers and mainstream usage.  Small independent companies with long wait times to order will always fall below.  But if the Crane DAC is as good as you say--comparing it with a $70k Nagra--it should be splashing all over the audiophile forums. I couldn't quickly find any thorough reviews on it or comparisons with other DACs.  But this thread may generate fresh buzz.  Thanks for bringing this to the table.

I would definitely revise my suggestion based on the different speakers.  Bricasti would remain.  As would Audiobyte and Rockna.  I would also look at the Wavelight from Rockna which is a bit warmer than the Bricasti and I would definitely second Aqua.  It will be warmer than Bricasti but is good sounding.  Don’t bother with Weiss or Chord. 

Try to find a used Bricasti M1 SE with Mdx upgrade. You’ll be surprised by the amazing quality.

Agree the Bricasti M1 SE is wonderful as is the M3. Can't go wrong with either IMO