Best 12AU7 Type Tubes for a Preamp

I am hoping for some help finding good quality and good sounding 12AU7 variant tubes for a preamp – I need two tubes. A price of around $100 each or less would be great but I would pay a bit more (150 ea.) for something that is likely to sound better. The unit came with JAN PHILIPS ECC82 (12AU7/5963) and I also own a pair of reissue/new Mullard ECC92 tubes. Both sets are quiet but I am wondering if there is something even better sounding at a moderate price.

Readily available NOS options I have seen include:

• NOS RCA Blackplate or Clear Top at about $100-150 EA.
  • Amprex 7316/ECC186 at around $150 each, and
  • Mullard CV4003/12AU7 $150ea.

New options I have found (in addition to Mullard) include (among others):

• Genalex - Gold Lion B749 / ECC82/12AU7, $70 ea.
  • Psvane 12AU7-S Art Series ECC82, $55 ea.

Thanks for any help.

mitch2

I installed matched NOS Telefunken smooth plates into my Rogue M-180s two days past. They will need some break in time but so far I like them more than the JJ tubes I replaced so I anticipate I will like them more and more as time passes.

I also have a matched set of NOS Raytheon Black plates sitting in a box and will roll them into the M-180s in a couple months. I will also use these in my Rogue RP-7 some time down the road. 

Here is a good reference for the 12au7 rolling options.

Mazda gray plates were pretty nice in my Luxman CL-38uC. 

I preferred them over the Amperex 7316, or Brimar CV-4003. 

Mazda/Radiotechnique from France are really good. Great detail without being bright, and a very nice amount of tubey-ness and dimensionality. Bugle Boys too. 

Otherwise I think the current version of the Gold Lions is really good. I think they are easily the best of current production.

well, cleartops are $60 or less a matched pair... not considered the best but just about appreciated.

if the circuit can handle it 12BH7 is the preferred alternative to the 12AU7