Does the Eminent Technology 2.5 arm work well with the Transcriptors Reference turntable?

https://youtu.be/lVwrC-zx-rM

https://youtu.be/V0iXCFGjPwY

Both arm and turntable are still made.

Nothing in the Audiogon ET 2.5 discussion group about this particular combination.

chowkwan

I’ve invited Bruce Thigpen to offer his thoughts here. I doubt he will as my experience has been that he doesn’t like to participate in audio forums; but herhaps he will. Here’s hoping …..

Bruce is very pleasant to talk to. I would give him a call (he personally answered the ET phone when I called to inquire about the LFT-8b loudspeaker).

How is it that the consensus is that an ET2 won't work on a table with springy suspension but it works well on an Oracle?  Is the Oracle's suspension not considered springy?  I have an ET2 on an Oracle and it seems to work well.  I'm just wondering how the Oracle's suspension is different than that of other tables not suitable for an ET2.

@ketchup 

How is it that the consensus is that an ET2 won't work on a table with springy suspension but it works well on an Oracle?  Is the Oracle's suspension not considered springy?  I have an ET2 on an Oracle and it seems to work well.  

I used to sell ET2's in the 80's. Had customers with ET2's on Oracle's.

The reality is that as the arm moves across the record, the moving mass is enough to shift the arm out of level on a softly sprung suspended deck.

I ran an Oracle for a while myself . I preferred the sound with the suspension set quite soft - this gave better high frequency response, more nuanced, more detail.

Personally I would never run an ET2 on an Oracle, but it doesn't mean it cant work.

Harvey Rosenberg used to run an ET on a Linn.

In my view these decks are not getting the best out of the ET2.

If I had to run an ET2 on an Oracle I would look at defeating the suspension and put the deck on a wall shelf.

As I look at my Basis Audio Debut and gently test the compliance of the suspension system with a well meaning finger, I can’t for the life of me imagine how the carbon fiber armwand would deflect the suspension as it moves slowly across the record. And let’s say there was some barely visible deflection, perhaps one or two microns, or less, how would that impact on anything audibly? Does my cat walking across a suspended wooden floor have a similar impact?

I can’t comment on this phenomenon and how it might relate to other suspended turntables that I’ve never owned but it seems intuitively to be on equally shaky ground (sorry ‘bout that).

Anyway, I know you folks are talking about a lot of different stuff here, so I appreciate the feedback relating to installing the ET2 on the Basis deck. I’m not comfortable drilling holes in the armboard right now but I don’t think it would be too difficult to manufacture a new armboard from hardwood then weight the board using lead or sand, accounting for the slightly higher mass ET2. I’ll think on that for a while.

Cheers!