Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517

Congratulations on your purchase, dentdog Fantastic tonearm! And welcome to the thread. With the exception of an occasional and thankfully rare bit of noise (like an annoying click or pop from a favorite lp) it is one of the most civilized and friendliest threads on Audiogon with a wealth of useful info on the setup and use of the great ET2. Keep us posted.

@nandric 

I like disputes. Here is my ''first.''.  This thread looks like Wittgenstein's ''phylosophical remarks'' He made about 10000 while an ''normal human'' can remember about 10. Keep inventing new upgrades...

If you want to do a case study in irrational logic and thinking read the posts from richardkrebs earlier in this thread - he argued for the best part of 12 months that adding 30g of lead to the ET2 was a good thing, presented fantastically illogical arguments and analogies for well over 6 months, almost daily. Anyone who disagreed with him was wrong. Eventually after about 18 months ( from memory ) he disclosed that he never added 30g of lead mass.  ( or so he claimed ). 

Dear dover, Who would believe that such a smart and well infomed person 

with ''strong logical beliefs'' would use ''richardkrebs'' as excuse for the length

of this thread?

BTW, I can understand that persons like, say,, lew can use this tonearm

because we know tha he owns a cellar. After all he told us to own two

systems; one in the living room the other in his cellar (+ wine of course)

But  where should owners of this ''best ever arm'' put the motor for the

''air production'' to prevent the  nvolved '''noise'' ??

@nandric

Hello Nikola

Most ET2 Users use the ET2 supplied pump, it makes very little noise cannot be heard from 6 feet away and is placed on the floor next to the turntable.
When you order a car you have options. You can select a bigger engine, you can select more horsepower from the same engine. Bruce offers this bigger engine as the 2.5. And he can modify the horsepower the smaller and larger engine make based on your needs. From approximately 3 PSI stock ET2 (base product) to 19 PSI. This applies to the ET2 and the ET2.5 which is the bigger engine with the bigger manifold. Every ET 2 or 2.5 was made for a certain amount of PSI in Bruce’ lab.
Public Chat Forums attract Aficionados in every hobby. Some of us here, represent the extreme end. Many of the discussions are about these mods and upgrades we have done. There are many modifications and upgrades that can be done and this is all possible because the design has few limits. I trust you and others have enjoyed these discussions.
Why Wittgenstein ? I would prefer Newton as what we are discussing here is basic physics. Think of your childhood teeter totter and trying to enjoy with a friend that was not the same weight as you. Do you remember the teeter totter and having to sit closer or further away from your friend in order to balance? The concept is the same here. The PSI gives us lift off, and we can fly sideways and pivot with no friction unlike other air bearing designs.
Does Slivovitz boost memory Nikola ? I can tell you that Scotch and Canadian Beer does not.