Chord M-Scaler and Should I Want One?

I have an Innuos Zenith Mk3 server/streamer feeding an Innuos PhoenixUSB reclocker, which feeds my Gryphon Diablo 300’s DAC module.  I am connecting these with Audioquest Diamond USB cords.  I love the sound of this combo. 

I know the Chord M-Scaler doesn’t support the max upsampling when connecting non-Chord DAC’s, but I’ve read in multiple places that it still makes a big improvement.

Are others using the M-Scaler with non-Chord DAC’s and if so what has your experience been?

As an aside I see the M-Scaler only allows for the tiny low-voltage power cord.  I find this surprising since I find that an aftermarket premium cord improves my Innuos USB reclocker very noticeably (but not as noticeably as using premium cords with my Innuos streamer). 

nyev

Anyone have any reasons why NOT to consider the M Scaler with my Gryphon DAC? The M Scaler seems to be one of those rare products that almost everyone unanimously says is great. Sort of like the Innuos PhoenixUSB. And my Diablo 300 amp.

My radar is always on the lookout for such products where everyone agrees they are great and Amir at Audiosciencereview says is garbage. Usually such products are worth paying attention to.

@tom23 , thanks for that link. The way the M Scaler is described is 100% the same way I’d describe the effect my Innuos PhoenixUSB adds to my system. I’ve since read that others who have both the Phoenix and the M Scaler also describe the effect of each as being identical. To be clear, I’ve read that others have said both together sound the best, but on their own, they both seem to add the same effect.

With this in mind, while I love my PhoenixUSB and couldn’t be happy without it now, I feel like adding that effect again might be "too much of a good thing".

In the link you mentioned the reviewer noted that maybe the Chord Dave has better detail than the TT2/ M Scaler, the Dave with all its detail might draw your attention to the detail and as such enjoyment of the music could be diminished. Another example of "too much of a good thing".

I do have a bit of a concern adding an M Scaler might be similar considering the effect the PhoenixUSB added, while welcome, might be overdoing things if that effect was added again.

The other factor is that upsampling is limited to 176k or 192k (not sure which) with my Gryphon Diablo DAC module. The review I linked noted the M Scaler sounded awesome with his Gryphon DAC, but he didn’t have the Phoenix, and he was using a homemade audiophile modded PC as a streamer.

Hmmm....

Maybe I'll seek out a used M Scaler and just give it a shot.  Can always sell it.

@mrc4u , not sure if you are still monitoring Audiogon forums as I see you haven't posted in a while.  But I read your old post noting your experience connecting the M Scaler with the Diablo 300's DAC, before you added the Chord DAC. You also noted that you prefer a weightier sound which is also why I chose the Diablo 300 a few years back.

I'm not looking to add a standalone DAC.  Would you say, from your experience, that the M Scaler is worthwhile addition connected to the Gryphon DAC, using its SPDIF BNC input?

If you haven't been there already a good place for research might be on the Head-Fi official thread. You can enquire about the in-depth technical considerations there including to Rob Watts.

edia object widget

Have you looked at the HoloAudio May DAC KTE?

It is established as the current competitor for Hugo + M Scaler but will cost you quite a lot less.