Turntables

Hey all! I've been circling a Rega P10 turntable, which is their latest iteration. It has gotten great reviews by Rega afficionados, but not much notice from the TT community at large, that I can find. It's a deviation from the conventional thinking that mass=stability, and quiet. It is very lightweight, but stiff. I like unconventional, and am willing to take a leap, though. Question is, of course, has anyone had any experience with these TT's and what thoughts do you have? (Michael Fremer at Analog Planet did a 5 part video of the Rega factory with Roy Gandy a couple of years ago and I have to say I was really impressed by his devotion to his art and his conviction about the direction Rega has taken with its TT's.)

128x128morsegist

Deviations from conventional thinking are usually not a good ideas. There are exceptions and the P10 is not one of them. It is however an excellent turntable for the money with a very decent tonearm. To achieve the best performance from it it would need to be placed on an isolation platform like a MinusK. If you have foot fall problems it will have to be on an isolation platform on a wall shelf. 

The Thorens TD1600 is a much better value and it also has an excellent arm.

For a little more than a P10 you could get a Sota Sapphire with a Kuzma 4 Point 9 and that could easily be a final table. 

It could be a winner.

One cartridge on a ’fixed’ tonearm, that is my only concern about very many new TT’s.

Do you now, or intend to have MONO LP’s (many many great Jazz LP’s are MONO).

Will you want ’alternate’ stereo cartridges? i.e. MM; MC; elliptical; advanced stylus shape; one with a brush for warped LPs?

An arm with a removable headshell allows these options in the future.

Another consideration is choosing a TT that allows you to ADD a second tonearm if you want, that arm could be the removable headshell type.

In any scenario, replacing the supplied cartridge with ’better’, or ’when worn’ requires a mix of skills and a few in-expensive tools. A dealer? friend? Acquire the skills yourself? For life, acquire the knowledge/skills/tools yourself!!!

IF DD is a consideration; and IF Technics appeals to you:

Technics B500 VTA on the Fly base, several instantly changeable arms, add any number of removable headshells,

You would need to convince the seller to ship, perhaps you arrange 'pack and ship', seller merely drops it off.

Regas are about as idiot proof as a turntable can get but not necessarily audiophile proof. Do things Regas way and they’re fine but pick something else if you want adjustability to fine tune or accommodate different cartridges they’re not the answer. Used on its own terms a p10 is a pretty decent deck and Regas top phonostage is the perfect match for it.

If DD is of interest the STST Motus DQ might be worth researching. Yes more than a P10. Also great with a Kuzma 4pt or Primary Control Arrow arm but still very good with a Groovemaster III for example.

Disclosure: I represent STST :)