Recommendations for HiFi Listening Room

Newbie here.  Wife and I are looking to turn our Great Room into a listening room.  It’s roughly 21’X’19 and has a cathedral ceiling that is 11’ tall at the wall and 20’ tall at the apex.  Spoke to a good hifi dealer in the area who made the following recommendations/proposal and I’m curious if this group may have any input for getting maximum bang for my buck.  Basically, with a budget around 35k (or thereabouts) would you buy something similar or are there any components you’d add or swap out?

Paradigm Persona 3F

McIntosh MA8950

Pro-Ject Xtension 9 w/ Ortofon Black Cartridge 

Sony ES DSD Music Server (this one concerns me a touch in that it appears to be an 8 yr old product line).

Thanks so much in advance for your collective expertise.  My wife isn’t going to let me drop money into this for another 15 years so I need to get it right the first time. 

If it matters, our musical taste is quite varied: classical, jazz, classic rock, alternative, hip hop.  My mother complained in my youth that if i had 10 bucks I would just buy a CD with it.  She is still right. 

128x128brewerslaw

Always refreshing to see some members who truly appreciate the value of the room first before the audio equipment. It's like a house, without a solid foundation all you got is a house of cards. Lots of wasted effort and money. Smart of the OP to have paid attention and contacted GIK. Glad I could help.

Exciting process! I began this audio journey in earnest late 2019. Lots of points already stated that I would concur, Robert Hurley's book is a must. I still refer to it from time to time. 

1. Enjoy the learning. This isn't a "one and done" thing.

2. Set expectations. I think it's unrealistic to get it right the first time. 

3. I set a budget. Then doubled it. Then tripled it. And it hasn't stopped. 

4. Great thing if you have a good local dealer but remember, they only sell what they've got. A universe of information and tech awaits. And BTW, if said local brick and mortar store won't let you demo things, run away. As others have said, if possible, hearing in your own room is important. 

5. Re. equip, I've not heard your speakers but in similar price universe, Revel F328Be (a pair can often be found for $10k) might do better and eliminate the need for a sub. For pure stereo / audio, I don't want a sub but arguments can be made either way. Sub placement, matching, timing are not "plug and play." I have the McIntosh MA325, significantly less than the one you're looking at and it is more than sufficient and has an additional set of balanced XLR connections if memory serves. 

6. Someone mentioned a dedicated power line. I heard this over and over and finally did it. $300 by a local electrician and it was the best single addition to my system. Period. I was stunned at the result. 

7. Blue Jean cables are very affordable and use a cold ultrasonic weld. 99.9% of cables (and I have some very expensive audioquests) are simply set screwed into twisted wire at the termination (banana, spade...). For a few hundred bucks, Blue Jean Cables will out match imo. Check them out online. 

8. Vinyl. If you already have a collection, great. Bear in mind, building LPs today is different. I've been astonished how well some equipment can render CDs and overall pretty happy with TIDAL and occasionally Spotify. The beauty of playlists is you can take music wherever you go. IF (big IF and I may earn the heretic label) you can wait on the turntable, look into streamers and a great CD player. I'm astonished with A-B tests with any source and my Quad Artera Play+ (around $2K) with balanced XLR to the McIntosh. Mind blowing. 

9. Spend some time on YouTube. Hans  Beekhuyzen can be a bit deep for most but I appreciate his reviews. John Darko is interesting and I'd say more "current" with tech than older audiophiles. Steve Guttenberg is a long timer, he rarely says anything negative about equipment, however, but his playlist might be helpful. "The Cheap Audioman" is, well, cheap. Full disclosure, I fast forward his intros and a lot of his stuff but he's not wrong about the seduction of high price tags may not mean that major of an improvement. You may find others with whom you connect. If you become a Patreon ($5.00 - 10.00 a month) to folks you like, they can be a bit more helpful - a-hem - than forums. I find forums a bit, well, lets say, the folks on forums are interesting. 

As I began, enjoy the process. Don't be in a rush to get everything. Learn. Laugh. Ask questions. And as Hans ends all his YouTube videos, "and whatever you do, enjoy the music."

Happy hunting. 

Forgive me, one more suggestion. Go XLR balanced cables for every component. Game changer.