Integrated Amp. - Hegel H160

Speakers – Fritz Carbon 7

Dac – Denafrips Venus II

Server- Innous Zenith MK3

Turntable – Rega RP8

Cartridge- Hana ML

Phono Pre – Icon Audio PS1 MKII

Power Conditioner – Puritan PSM156

I stream most of my music, listen to everything from 60’s rock to blues and Jazz.  My system as it currently exists sounds pretty good.  My wife thinks it sound great.  My main complaint with the existing system is it is still a little bright and I do experience some listener fatigue. 

I am considering another upgrade.  I have always had solid state integrated amplifiers. I am considering tube integrated amplifiers.  My budget is 7 to 10K.  If you have gone from SS to Tube, what did you buy?  What was the most striking difference out of the box and 300 hours in?  Did you keep the speakers you had?

I am not completely sure that a tube amp. is what my system needs.  I thought speakers could also make a difference.  So, I am considering adding Joseph Audio Pulsar 2 Graphene to my current system.  If anyone would like to give me their impression of them I would greatly appreciate it.  I have read that they pair well with Hegel Amps.   

I have had the Carbon7’s since 2013.  I like them a lot.  I had also purchased Fritz’s Carrera 7Be.  I sold them because I did not like beryllium tweeters, I thought I would, but I did not.  BTW Fritz is a class act.

Ag insider logo xs@2xjili12

Switching from SS amps to tubes was one of the best moves  I have made in my system. I went from McIntosh 1.25kwh Monoblocks to an Audio Research Ref160S. Have not missed my McIntosh at all. Much better SQ all the way around. You may want to find a reputable dealer who will let you demo a tube amp and try before you buy.  Other recommendation is cabling. Didn’t see that mentioned but I would try cabling first if you have not already done so. 

good luck and let us know how you make out!!

Can the room handle larger 3 way speakers?

IF so, I recommend you 1st change speakers, 3 way, more efficient, at least 90 sensitivity.

Your existing equipment might sound terrific and NOT fatiguing. with different speakers.

Tubes are wonderful sounding, my preference, however it is a dance between speaker’s efficiency and ’enough’ power for sudden demanding bursts.

If you find a horn speaker with high efficiency you like, you can use less power, but caution, not too little.

IF your room cannot handle a bigger speaker, I have a compact 3 way suggestion based on recent experience.

compact 3 way AR-2ax, 91 sensitivity, size: 11.5 deep; 13 wide; 24 long. and fully restore them (or have them restored, or pay more for a fully restored pair. Big asset: built-in level controls for the tweeter and the mid-range so you can adjust them to your space.

I bought a pair, for nostalgic reasons, was going to use them in the shop. bought 250. ship 250, parts capacitors, 4 new level controls, 2 new tweeters 250, total 750.

They sound soo good I moved them to my office, driving with little luxman 10wpc tube amp. So good I just bought a 2nd pair for the shop, restoring them now, just need capacitors for crossover and 4 level controls. Larger room I would want at least 30 wpc, preferably 45 wpc range.

Tube amps: less needed power has many advantages: less initial cost; smaller size; less heat; more placement options; consider line of sight if remote, less replacement tubes cost (they last 10,000 hrs, for me 14 years, so if you replace them every 7 years, it’s no big deal.

Anyone going tubes, I recommend buying a simple tube tester of your own.

If you can see my virtual systems, I show the AR-2ax restoration there.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/10092

bigger efficient horns with 45wpc tubes here

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/9511

Interesting, a number of you have mentioned cables.  I did not mention them because I am not a big believer that they differ significantly.  Possibly I am wrong about this.  

For the record this is what I am using

Speakers - MIT Matrix 28

Amp- Puritan Audio Ultimate AC cord

Puritan PSM 156 - Puritan Audio Ultimate AC cord

Phono Pre-amp Morrow MA4 Interconnect 48 ssi wires

Dac - Wywires Balanced Interconnect Silver Series Cable

Dac Power - Morrow Audio Wattgate 350i

Dac to Server-  Wywires USB Digital Audio cable Litespd Platinum

Server Power cable - Supplied by Manufacturer 

Your thoughts on these cables would be appreciated.  BTW, I am extremely grateful for the insight you have all provided.  

anyone curious about the AR-2ax is more than welcome to come see/hear mine. Plainfield, nj 07062

come soon, see the innards of the second pair I am restoring.

Supply chain problems taught me a lot about acoustics and sonic performance.

I just did a project converting an unused room to a 2 channel listening room.  Hegel integrated driving Focal towers.  Electronics were in place first then had to wait for the room treatments to get through the supply chain slowness.  First impression was that the sound was too bright in the untreated room.

Side panels arrived and were installed, nice improvement, less bright, soundstage better side to side.  Then some weeks later the ceiling panels arrived and were installed, big improvement, sound stage better front to back and the brightness was gone.  

The lesson learned was don't underestimate how much the room affects the sound do don't frustrate yourself swapping equipment before you get your listen room optimized.