Amplifier recommendation

We who love this hobby/obsession are an interesting lot. We love to converse with, encourage, challenge, insult, and offend one another, then turn to one another for advice and recommendations. Because we are haunted by the possibility that while we think we have Golden Ears, we might just merely have Silver Ears, so we seek reassurance from one another that we really are hearing what we think we’re hearing. “Did you find that to be a little too rolled off on the top end?” “I agree that it’s right tonally, but lacks the imaging of comparable models. Or is that just my room?” 

With that brief preamble, I am going to, you guessed it, ask for a recommendation. And I’m going to ask a question hoping some will have a very specific answer to, knowing full well that most will say,”Well, that depends”. Can you name a specific stereo tube amp that is reasonably affordable, (no &100k or even $10 k, please) “vintage” or current, that you think produces 70, 80, 90% of the sound characteristics that tube lovers love? Can you say THAT amp is what a typical high end tube amp “sounds like”? An amp about which you would say, “Wanna know the difference between a good tube amp and a good solid state amp? Listen to THAT tube amp! Thanks!

128x128pascon

I note a lot of recommendations for Atma-Sphere Class D monoblocks. I don’t have the space or money for monoblocks but if Ralph is still reading these posts I wonder if he has a single box Class D on the horizon. Also any plans to find a distributor in Australia

@mazian

In Australia I would suggest you try March Audio, with the Purifi Class-D parts. Alan is about 20km away, and the reviews are good, and they sounded pretty good to me powering how’s speakers. (I just cannot get him to deal with me.)

If you are in the Sydney area, then Alan is going to be the blue mountains area in under a week. His website has the info.

Supateck in Margaret River was closed to visits a few weeks ago (Covid concerns), but Mick is also well regarded (in the valve gear).

I’ll probably just sit tight, or sell the exiting amps and get on the Atmasphere wait list.

@holmz 

Alan March is presenting at a meeting of the Sydney Audio Club on Sunday which will give me a chance to evaluate his Purifi amps first hand. Not as good as trying out with your own system but better than nothing.

@holmz 

Alan March is presenting at a meeting of the Sydney Audio Club on Sunday which will give me a chance to evaluate his Purifi amps first hand. Not as good as trying out with your own system but better than nothing.

@mazian 
Maybe you could bring your amp, or your speakers there.

I would think that it would probably be easier for Alan to leave the amp than to pack it up and fly it back to WA…, and maybe the same with the speakers.

I would be interested to know what you think of it.

I’ve only heard the combo in his house, but the reviews are good… and specs are great. So I doubt it is a bad option for Class-D in Au, NZ, or Asia in general.
And I also doubt that the Atmasphere would be anything other than good too.
Or even the Suprateck.

They all have stunningly good specs… so it’s kinda a bit of a 1st world problem.

Classic with a bit more power and a few nods to modern technology....Tubes4HiFi VTA ST120......Simply can not be beat for anywhere near the price....Buy it as a kit or completely assembled. Love mine!

http://rvbprecision.com/stereo/vta-st120-dynaco-clone-tube-amplifier-build-in-pictures.html