We Can Make Classic Cars Outperform Today's "SuperCars": Why Not Vintage Audio?

If you spent $2M on a modern "Supercar", you’d arrive at the end of a quarter mile 2 football fields behind the quickest highly-modified "street legal" cars from the muscle car era. You could show up at an Autocross event in your late model "track ready" sports sedan, and be embarrassed by a lady pushing a 1986 Monte Carlo between the cones.

There’s a lot of resources and talent in the automotive aftermarket. Many of the brightest minds earned weekly paychecks in their "past lives" at major auto manufacturers. There are various disciplines involved including complete engine and drive train replacements, serious add-on/mods to existing components, bigger/better brakes, track-ready suspensions, etc. They can even slide a complete new high-performance rolling chassis underneath popular models.

So, why not vintage audio? Well, we do dip our toes into this a bit. There are popular speaker crossover replacements for the DYI crowd. But, these fall sonically short of their contemporary "high end" counterparts. The automotive equivalent of replacing a 2 BBL carb on a cast iron manifold with a 4 BBL carb on a cast iron manifold -- while keeping the original single exhaust system intact. We can do simple mods to improve the sonics -- like upgrading an original power cord that you wouldn’t want to use on a 2-splice toaster, much less a high-current amplifier. The really smart guys need to come to the rescue for true audiophile grade solutions.

Understandably there has to be a "high give a s--- factor" related to this. The speed parts industry is fueled by a wildly enthusiastic crowd while vintage audio owners are, like: "whatever". So, the chances of a superb $5k amp/preamp module that drops into a Marantz 1060 chassis and slays any modern gear near it’s price point may not be coming to a town near you anytime soon.

I think this can be incremental if we put our minds and wallets to it. You "car guys" know there are 3 basic types of collector cars. "Showroom stock" represents as close as possible the vehicle as it rolled off the assembly line. "Personalized" generally follows a stock appearance with performance and cosmetic improvements. Generally speaking, the car can be reverted to showroom stock at some point the future. All the original parts are carefully cataloged and placed in safe storage. "Modified" has the appearance of a race car, and performs like one. Often modifications to metal are performed, and in some cases there’s no going back. We can follow similar guidelines as well. We understand the motivation to keep things "stock". We can also understand the audiophiles that love their vintage gear would be open to the concept of a significantly better listening experience while maintaining a stock appearance and functionality. Chopping up an Auburn is a really bad idea. But, upgrading the input terminals on an integrated amplifier may be highly palatable for those cherished collectables.

I also get it that the ROI would be questionable. An amp that has a current market value of $2k with $5k worth of mods might still be worth $2k -- or less.

What say you?

128x128waytoomuchstuff

@ketchup Did ya read the whole thing or just cherry pick the line. If you can show me a 70s era classic that run a sub 10 second quarter, have a top speed of over 180 miles and hour and brake 60 to 0 in less than 110 ft, pull over a 1 G on a figure 8 using 70s era components and is street legal in California running unleaded I’ll agree whole heartedly. Until then buckle up and trust your airbag

This is a fun comparison although it may be kind of oranges and apples. I have a couple of old muscle cars, one being a 65 GTO that has a built 455 with fuel injection, a bunch of brake and suspension upgrades and it goes and handles way better than it did in 65. That being said at my age driving that thing for 500 miles on a trip would not be any fun.

One area where vintage stereo gear can compete with newer gear is turntables and for sure tuners. I have a Thorens TD 124 that has lots of upgrades and mods and it is very satisfying. My Tuner collection consists of a Mac MR 74 , Pioneer TX 9500II and an Accuphase T101. All have been restored and modified and are glorious sounding from a good FM station. Speakers and amps have progressed so much over the last 50 or 60 years that it might be hard for the older ones to compete.

Did ya read the whole thing or just cherry pick the line. If you can show me a 70s era classic that run a sub 10 second quarter, have a top speed of over 180 miles and hour and brake 60 to 0 in less than 110 ft, pull over a 1 G on a figure 8 using 70s era components and is street legal in California running unleaded I’ll agree whole heartedly. Until then buckle up and trust your airbag

Did you read the thread?  Because that's not at all what it's about.

Gentlemen,

Great posts!!

I am not suggesting that we "paint a mustache on the Mona Lisa" with this topic. If you love everything about your vintage gear (including its current market value) then leave it alone.

But, for others it doesn’t have to be a "this" OR "this". It can be a "this" AND "this". We don’t have to make the decision whether we want the vintage look and feel OR great sound. We can have both. It’s like having your vintage gear. And, listening to it, too. The maturity of the "aftermarket performance audio" industry is not well developed, to say the least. I use the parallel to cars as proof positive that older cars can perform as well as their contempory counterparts - within the specific performance parameters selected. Today’s vintage cars perform better, handle better, are more comfotable, reliable, and safer due to the success and ingenuity of the aftermarket. Many vintage car enthusiasts love their old cars -- AND, enjoy an elevated driving experience over showroom stock. Likewise, may vintage audio owners would appreciate a higher level of performance from their gear, but simply aren’t aware that non-intrusive upgrades exist, or don’t know how to connect to them.