Warming up digital in my setup

Here's my setup:

Hint6 (using embedded DAC)

Kef LS 50

PSA Subwoofer (x2)

DIY Mogami 4 wire speaker wire

Source:  iPhone + Amazon Music HD + USB cable

I can't quite dial in the my digital setup with the above gear - hoping you can help.  Bright glassy is what I get, but what I want is warm, organic, depth of sound.  I'm able to achieve the latter using analog.  Is it possible with the Hint6 DAC? 

Here's some info on the DAC:

• ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC (ES9018K2M)
  • Asynchronous USB 2.0 supports PCM up to 384kHz/32-bit
  • USB input decodes Native DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 and DoP DSD

128x128martinman

I would try a dedicated streamer first with your present setup. I was using an iPad into the Dac on my preamp and bought a Rose 150b streamer dac and it was a night and day difference. My research and practical experience tells me you need a dedicated streamer.

Using iPhone to stream music is most likely your culprit. The DAC in the parasound integrated can’t be that terrible. Get a decent streamer, good usb cable and good power cord for your integrated and you should be ok. 

Your description reminds me of every time I have heard KEF speakers, especially the LS50.  Bright, hard metal tweeters aren't helping.  Try a speaker with a folded ribbon, like a Golden Ear stand mount.  

As for DACs, I tried a bunch of ESS chip DACs and found them all glassy and hard sounding.  I ended up with a Denafrips Pontus II.  I tried to avoid Chi-Fi, but after trying cheaper DACs from Cambridge Audio, Project, FiiO, and the Schiit Gumby, I gave in and got the Pontus II.  Still breaking it in, but it seems to avoid that harsh, glassy sound without losing any detail retrieval.

@zlone I'm intrigued by your Pi/Allo setup.  Early on, my first headphone setup used a Pi w/ HiFiBerry Hat.  It worked out really well to stream Spotify -- it was basically set and forget.  I still have a few raspberryPi 3 and 4, so I'll check this out and report back!    

@martinman I'm intrigued by your Pi/Allo setup.  Early on, my first headphone setup used a Pi w/ HiFiBerry Hat.  It worked out really well to stream Spotify -- it was basically set and forget.  I still have a few raspberryPi 3 and 4, so I'll check this out and report back! 

Worth a shot. I run mine with Moode, but Volumio is good too. Also use this low cost LPS:

I will be interested to hear your results.