Ideal power cord lengths?

A quick Google search suggests there is consensus that the ideal power cord length is 2m.  1m cords sound “harsher” and 3m cords sound “smoother”, with 2m being the sweet spot.  The PS Audio dude suggests that the reason is that the reason is that all cords have an impact on the power, and the greater the length, the greater the impact, good or bad.

I know many will say there is no difference between a 1m cord and a 3m cord.  But my question is, who here has tried like model power cords of different lengths, and what were the differences?  

Second question:  How does length factor into the equation when you have a cord feeding a conditioner, then other cords feeding components?  If 2m cords are in fact the ideal, would 1m cords be ideal when using conditioners?

I tend to believe those that say that power cord lengths matter.  While I’ve not been able to do this test myself, I’ve had these two experiences:

• Testing Audioquest Diamond and Nordost Valhalla 2 USB cables, the cables shorter than 1.5m sounded TERRIBLE by comparison.  Especially the .75m Audioquest Diamond vs the 1.5m version.  But the 1m Valhalla 2 also sounded awful in comparison to the 2m version.  In general this opened my eyes to how much cable length matters, and counterintuitively in the case of digital cables. 
  • I have a 2019 2m AudioQuest Hurricane Source cable from back when AQ braided their cables, and I also have the newer non-braided Hurricane Source, but 3m in length.  The new Hurricane sounds vastly superior to my old 2m Hurricane.  In comparison the older cord compresses the soundstage depth.  I don’t know if the differences are due to the differences in length, or if it’s due to a design change by Audioquest.

Very interested in learning of others experiences with power cord lengths.

nyev

There is a principle involved here. Only if you spend lots of money improving something of extreme minuscule benefit that only a meter could possibly measure can you be judged worthy to have an informed opinion.

Right there at the top of the list from Audiogons weekly update was this jewel. Only on Audiogon do you get such priceless topics and pithy answers. The surreal ones from believers and the amusing from those of us who know better. In the mean time I bet the OP has bad music files and trying to fix them with stuff and not Audacity, Thanks for the chuckle of the day though.

Nyev, Soix, CurtDR, and all of you are correct. Of course there are ALWAYS differing opinions when discussing power cords, or interconnects, or HDMI/Ethernet/USB/I2S cables, or balanced vs unbalanced, or clean power, or separates vs integrated, or room treatment, or price of a system, or whatever it is that gets us going.

I am on a different journey from most of you, I have a budget that I am comfortable with, I prefer a different "sound"  from my system, I listen to different music, and maybe even different volume levels, and there are things about this hobby that bring me pleasure.....like tube rolling in my VTA ST-120 amp, or cable rolling, or trying to extract just that little bit more quality from the system that I can afford.

Truth be told I am jealous of those of you who can afford $15,000 speakers/amps/pre-amps/DACs and wildly expensive cables.....I am positve that you can extract better sound than I can out of my $15,000 total cost system. But that is a cap based on my particular financial reality.....and my  wife's patience. And frankly, it has taken a ton of time and research (many suggestions gathered here) to find reasonably affordable products to give me the best sound (for my ears)

Yes of course I know that a better pair of speakers will have a greater sonic improvement than a Audioquest Vodka HDMI I2S cable, and KrellAudio Research/Wilson products will outperform my Denafrips stack and Buchardt S400 MkII speakers. But I have a damn fine system for my needs and sounds amazing at low, mid, and loud listening levels, and I'll continue to find each little tweak I can afford to improve it.....and I will be getting some GIK products for room treatment, so that's another rabbit hole

@lalitk , I agree, I am going to tackle room treatment next, before dealing with vibration/coupling.  But I might start considering vibration control and learning more about soon as I simply plan to engage a qualified expert to specify how to treat my room.  I think my room is more complicated than most as there are angles, open walls, high ceilings, and it’s not simply a rectangle like most rooms.  TBH I’m not noticing any issues with my room, but I know it can be improved.  I’ve had terrible rooms before for my system but not this time.

@audioman58 Wrote:

what truly counts are the end connection points , here purity copper with gold,silver or rhodium over the copper , with ,not brass which is bright and no where good of a conductor. 

I agree. One of the reasons I eliminated the power cords from my two monoblock amps was to eliminate two connection points, the wall plug and power cord male plug. Also, another reason is to negate the question to me about what power cord sounds best. Running my amps directly to the dedicated circuit sounds better, in my opinion, then running them with a power cord.  😎

Mike