Is this a audioquest cable counterfeit fake?

I purchased a Diamond Audioquest USB cable here from a seller and I received is nothing like my audioquest diamond cable. The packaging was also different from the one in the listing.

The packaging does not look or match any of my other audioquest packages.

I've highlighted everything in red for comparison.

imgur.com/a/72jAJbk

Anyone want to give their thoughts on the matter?

bishop55

They don’t authenticate anything using pictures. They do physical cables only and if they find it’s a counterfeit the cable is destroyed. They’re doing the right thing by killing it so it’s out of circulation.

Word to the wise …insist on an OEM CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY

I’ve had CARDAS scope out suspected fakes for me, including Pre-owned listings as fakes flogged on REVERB and AGON. Right from the pics . If they don’t supply an OEM COA… chose wisely.

In their words, an estimated 20-25 percent if ALL CARDAS listings on the major forums are illegal and cheap-build inferior counterfeit fakes .( mostly from China where this shite is a national sport ….)

Hence,,,,IMO…( based on my CARDAS experiences)

(1) AQ should be able to identify the obvious fakes from the pics.(Uber cheap and crap build connectors, different markings , different colour sheathing , poor quality lettering, blah, blah,…. );

(2) the few more clever fakes may involve actually shipping these dodgy sourced cables to AQ, wherein they have to remove the connectors to inspect them and also inspect and examine the actual cable construction and sheathing (ditto for CARDAS).

BUT ….and its a BIG “BUT” ….be prepared that you won’t get the fake back either if it is identified as an illegal counterfeit fake. ( “knock-offs” are no-name attempted near-copies that are NOT the same as illegal use of OEM Trademarked brand name plunked onto counterfeit cheap- build POS fakes )

Wow, you really jumped the gun leaving negative feedback. The Diamond has been around for a while. AQ has been known to change braiding & packaging over time (even on the same model). That’s one heck of a leap to assume you’ve got a counterfeit based on the minor packaging differences, and nothing else. You abandoned all faith in the seller, did NO due diligence on your part, and left a neg. You also mentioned the cable is "defective" in your feedback. Is it? If it doesn’t work, then this case should have been as simple as requesting a full refund. If it does work (your paranoia aside), you’re not being fully truthful in your feedback.

I’ve bought cartridges from this same Asian (Hong Kong) seller, totaling much more than this cable, and they were all 100% authentic A-stock. I have full confidence that he sells only genuine articles, and if any mistake happens he’ll resolve it promptly. He has every right to be pissed. I wouldn’t deal with you either.

AQ has had a long history combating counterfeits, so you’re not wrong to be cautious of that, but this was not the right way to handle a transaction. In general it feels like the counterfeiting problem was at its peak in the days of Sky interconnects and K2 speaker cables - and seems like they’ve got this better under control with current models. Anyways, they will authenticate a cable for free (and dispose of counterfeits when found, like they should). I've sent in a number of AQ cables over the years an never got a fake. Because I'm a careful buyer who doesn't freak out on his sellers lol. 

@mulveling 

I did try to work with the seller and did my due diligence. The seller obviously understands what he is doing, that is why he rejected my return. Me & the seller know the cable is a worthless. The packaging is packaging. You can ask the seller why I received different packaging that matches nothing in their listing because he still hasn't explained anything.

Maybe you had a good experience with seller buying a cartridge but I challenge you to purchase the Diamond Cable and see how that plays out.