Direct Drive

I am firmly in the digital camp, but I’ve dabbled in vinyl.  Back in the day I was fascinated by Technics Direct Drive tt, but couldn’t afford them.  I was stuck with my entry level Gerrard.  I have been sans turntable for about 5 years now but the new gear bug is biting.  I am interested in the Technics 1500 which comes with an Ortofon Red and included pre amp.  I have owned Rega P5 which I hated for its speed instability and a Clearaudio Concept which was boring as hell.

Direct Drive was an anathema to audiophiles in the nineties but every time I heard  one it knocked my socks off.  What do the analogers here think of Direct Drive?  I listen to Classical Music exclusively 

mahler123

ProJect Debut Carbon Total entry level TT.

My Thorens TD145 is fantastic. Built in the 1975 and I had it professional restored with a custom plinth. Rewired the TP-16 tone arm with Cardas Clear Phono. Has MP110 MM Cart (love it).

@dover , you always make this claim about DD tables. Please provide your documentation to back up these claims. You do know that "jitter" is something that happens at a fairly high rate. I'm sure a steady test tone would reveal this pretty easy, and be easy to document with numbers. Rather funny that I haven't seen these reports.

BillWojo

@lewm Sorry to be obscure, but some were questioning @dover about the theoretical basis, so I thought there was an interest.

Not saying that it was worse than previous Technics DD. Just saying that there is no such thing as an instantaneous speed measurement in the real world. It’s all averages, or more precisely, means. And means don’t tell the whole story.

That’s the take-away. What is measured isn’t the totality of what’s there.

IMO belt drives sounds far better, but that’s just personal opinion. The theory on how that could be so, given the measurements, is upstream.

@billwojo it is wow and flutter. 

Here are the specs for the Technics 1210G DD TT

Rumble is motor noise.

Type: Direct Drive Manual Turntable
Turntable Speeds: 33-1/3, 45 and 78 rpm
Adjust Range: ±8 %, ±16 %
Starting Torque: 3.3 kg-cm
Build-up Characteristics: 0.7 s. from Standstill to 33-1/3 rpm
Wow And Flutter: 0.025 % W.R.M.S. (JIS C5521)
Rumble: 78 dB (IEC 98A weighted)

Now here are the spec's for a 1975 Thorens TD145

Specifications

Drive system: 16-pole synchronous motor with belt drive

Record speeds: 33⅓ and 45 rpm

Turntable platter: 12 -inch non-magnetic zinc alloy

Rumble : -48 dB (unweighted), -69dB (weighted)

Wow and flutter: 0.06%

Looking at these spec's you will not hear either.  Like I said it is a silly argument. Also someone made a comment about changing belt, how hard is it? Not hard at all. Speed on my 47 year old turntable is dead nuts on. 

Terry, I am well aware of the assumptions we make when we speak of turntable speed and its accuracy or lack of accuracy. But if you categorically prefer BD turntables, with or especially without a dedicated motor controller, it’s not because BD turntables are more speed constant than a well designed and constructed DD turntable, in my opinion. And I assume your experience is limited to a few examples of each type, as is mine.