Audio PC

How important is it to make sure an audio PC is built specifically for that purpose. Is cross talk between PC parts common in terms of creating noise that will be audible through monitors or headphones.

What steps would you guys reccomend to figure out if noise is being generated by components rather than a power outlet?

Is it very expensive to hire an electrician to install audio friendly outlets in your home/studio?

sarjekemo

Thank You @danager 

Your input played an important role in my build. It was the power supply. I am glad I did not go with the AC-DC converter inside the box. It is done using a Delll brick outside the box. I forgot to mention that and take a picture.

In my limited experience with PC audio, I found a guy who takes a laptop, and reconfigures it for best audio. I know little other than this: The laptop used is a Lenovo ThinkPad, Windows is NOT used in the setup, and because it has a disc drive, I can rip CDs 'bit perfect' onto the SS drive. Playback is so much more impressive than I thought that it would be. I am using a USB port out to a Dragonfly Red DAC. 

@milpai 

If you are up to an inexpensive experiment I'd like to get your feedback.  Scrounging the forums Ted Smith (the designer of the PSAudio PerfectWave DAC)  suggested that the issue with USB as a connection is the 5V power included within the signal cable.  His suggestion was to insert a linear powered USB hub to clean up the signal.  I haven't purchased the 5V linear power supply yet but just blocking the power from the computer and using a powered hub I was able to make a significant change to my system. 

Power blocker to remove the 5V from the source

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094FYL9QT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Powered USB 2.0 hub.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T9S4CI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

So for about $30 I was able to improve separation and add low base.

Both items are returnable if your experience isn't positive but I've got to get my head around the changes before I spend the additional $90 for a LPS.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HDGCP3V/?coliid=I10YCYSEUGXDVA&colid=2P8239ZSNTNRE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Cheers

@danager ,

Yes, I have read the same. In fact high end USB cards have separate power inputs for the same reason. At this point, I am happy with the setup. I am sure the itch will come at some point in time. I will most likely experiment at that point, when I decide to upgrade to a high end USB card.

@milpai I completely understand and really envious of being completely happy with your system. It never seems to last more than a week for me until I'm trying to identify the weakest link after an upgrade.  I do feel I'm pretty lucky with the PSAudio DAC as it does all the reclocking internally, so I probably  wouldn't notice the full benefits of a high end USB card,  isolation on the other hand is the key for me in my current setup.  I've read here on the forum where members have said the server upgrade was more substantial than the DAC upgrade. I now believe it as all I did was filter out the computers 5V power and I swear to you it completely changes my system for the better.

Be sure to post your experiences with the USB card as your journey can provide answers to many, including me.