Sound bar

"You can keep 'em"

128x128fuzztone

Disagree, there are a few soundbars out there that do a good job of atmos while also providing a sub output. Depends on the bar.

I recently purchased a Sonos ARC sound bar and it's anything but a stupid idea, particularly in light of room variations and seating positions. In fact just the opposite!

With 21 speakers and 11 onboard class D amps this sound bar will fill a room with a quality audio experience and do so from any location in the room. Voices are crystal clear for both tv shows and movies and it has the capability to play music directly from the Spotify phone app without turning on the tv.

Based on my experience I highly recommend the Sonos ARC sound bar.

Sound bars are a compromise.  Far lower sound quality than something like a decent 5.1 system but takes up far less space, fits under the front of the TV, and is a lot easier to set up.  Although I’d never get one I can see the point for many people who aren’t audiophiles or want a simpler, cleaner look in their space.  Different strokes…

I’m a picky audiophile who is extremely happy with my Sonos Arc with surrounds and sub. Fills my large room with immersive, dynamic sound that makes all programming more enjoyable. For years I ran my TV and Blu-ray through my very high-end 2-channel system. The Arc 5.1 is far better for its purpose. Would I listen to it for music? No way. I have three tricked-out turntables for that. But my wife likes it for her phone apps and Sirius XM. I have no doubt that a fullscale 5.1 component system would be better. But for ease of use, small footprint, clear dialog, surround effects with a suggestion of Atmos, and generally excellent sound for TV and movies, I think it is terrific.

I have a sound bar with a sub and it is certainly not as good as a full surround solution but I really don't care. I'm up at 4:30am watching F1 in dialog mode so I can hear crystal clear voices and a little bit of rumble from the cars from the sub all in trying not to wake up my wife downstairs so it's all is good. :) The main reason I have it is because it does not interfere with my main 2ch system that has to live in the same room/loft with no interference. For example, the sound bar sub sits in a non-optimal position so main system sub can be placed where it sound best.