B.S. Node 2i brick (yet another one)

Mine died after 3 years, like so many others, ordered and replaced the caps (they looked fine) and still doesn't turn on. My problem is a bit different - no red light at all on the top, although I may have disabled led's in the setup, and I'm not sure if that setting carries over to bootup.. Anyway, its dead, does nothing, no lights, no network lights at the cable when I plug it into ethernet.

This POS BS company will discount me a whopping $75 on a REFURBISHED unit. This is pathetic service for a $600 piece of equipment. I'll never buy another piece of hardware from Bluesound. Audiophile gear priced like that should last 20 years imo. 

What would you guys do? Try and find a full power supply, or do the aftermarket upgrade? My worry is that my power board is fine and its the main board that's bad. I'm not sure how to test this. I did some high level probing on the power board with an electrical engineer, and it looked ok.. Is there a way to hard reset it via usb or something? Does the service button at the back provide any function?

128x128doug1234

i have had 5 nodes (3x 2i, 2x n130) in various parts of 2 homes we spend time in, since early 2020, all have performed flawlessly, no issues whatsoever

obviously these are very low cost, exceptionally popular for those getting into streaming, i would imagine thousands have been sold, there will be some failure rate, inevitably

@roxy54

I agree with you, and according to other members their reliability is terrible, but on the other hand, $600.00 doesn’t buy much these days in high end audio.

I have been using a Node 2i for a few years now and it has worked flawlessly, as has @jjss49 reported above.

I purchased my 2i on a website that gave a 10% discount for first time buyers and so it came in for somewhere around $500 dollars, meaning I have no worries about resale, etc., it’s just a fun little piece of equipment.

What I am getting around to respectfully saying is that in my estimation you opinion regarding their reliability is not accurate.  I think based on my reading here that their reliability is fairly exceptional.  Especially when you consider that there are probably a thousand (?) Bluesound units sold for every other brand sold.

Just a difference of opinions.

And I will be ticked off like @doug123 if mine bites the dust.

@2psyop I cant do the reset because I never see a red light. I did replace the caps (I'm an expert solderer and very comfortable with this sort of repair). Warranty is only one year, I'm on year 3. Do you want to sell your original power board? It might be worth a shot to try that before throwing it in the garbage. 

@jjss49 @roxy54  That's awesome you guys have good units, I'm jealous! Based on what I've read these things are ticking time bombs.. 3-4 years and they die - this seems to be the average lifespan, so you're not quite there yet. I rarely used mine btw, maybe a few times a week. My caps were not popped like others posts though, it just stopped turning on one day. 

doug,

Let me check later to see that I still have it. If I do, I will just send it to you.... no problem.

@doug1234,

Sorry for the misunderstanding Doug, but I don't own one, or any other streamer. My comment was just based on an observation. I seemed to me; and I could be wrong, that a number of members had complained about their reliability in the past.