Amp Internal Wire

Hi Gents, has anyone have any experience with upgrading amp or preamp internal signal wire? Most older equipment seems to have thin maybe sometimes poor internal wiring. In the world of OFC/OCC/Sterling and even more exotic wire available these days, any experiments done using this internally on components swapping out the cheap?

Lots of discussion about doing this with speakers, but never with components I've seen. For instance, I am thinking about replacing copper 'appliance' wire in an old Bryston with 14awg sterling from the board to the speaker binding post board.

Any thoughts?

rickysnit

@nonoise 

You had the same reaction last time you were called out as now.
You're not fooling anyone

👍

Charles

I'm not getting into the debate over conductor material but would recommend Teflon for the insulator.  Why?  High melting temperature so less likely to damage it while soldering and then there is the whole low dielectric absorption thing.

The first time you take a vintage piece apart, you may be shocked at the simple quality and small diameter wires you find.

Keep in mind, this is within the pieces that produced results that made the reputations of these great companies.

You mentioned amps, but I will never forget what I found inside the Fisher/Electro-Voice speakers I inherited, (made in 1958)

The wires looked just like these:

http://www.fisherdoctor.com/ev.html

just came across this tidbit

"They decided to focus their business on audio products. The company designed a PA system for Notre Dame football coach Knute Rockne. Rockne, who had difficulty being heard at football practices due to health problems that affected his voice, called the new PA system his "electric voice". Rockne’s remark inspired the company’s name. On June 1, 1930, Burroughs and Kahn incorporated under the name "Electro-Voice".[2][3]"