3k Phono preamp upgrade options (JC3+, XP-17, etc)

Hi everyone,

I’m looking to upgrade my phono preamp in my sytem and am fairly decided on going the solid state route. The two options I’m most interested in are the Parasound JC3+ and Pass XP-17. I’m curious if anyone has compared these two together, and can describe how these units differ. Here is my system:

Lyra Delos (0.6 mv) -> (new phono here) -> Hegel h120 -> Dynaudio Heritage Specials.

I’m sure both phono preamps are great units, but I’m looking for something that will pair nicely with my Dynaudios. The Hegel is here for now, but I see myself upgrading it eventually, so compatability in that regard isn’t as important.

If you think there is a tube option that will work well with my sytem (Sadly Herron isn't in production, so that's a no go) feel free to recommend, but I’m mostly interested in SS for now.

riskymilk

@riskymilk Perhaps look into these. It’s a quad but at least you have backups if one ever dies. It’ll be harder to source them down the road.

6C45s from Ukraine

I've been pretty happy with my 6111 based Quad 24p, but now having two tables, one with a low output cartridge, I have a Rek-O-Kut switch and an extra set of interconnects in the signal path. I also have to use the 'sensitivity' knob on the back and the MM/MC switch, which were probably specified by Quad to be low-use items, rather than something that might get turned or flipped after each side of an album. So when I initially misdiagnosed a sound in one speaker as coming from the phono stage I jumped at a barely used Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista Vinyl I have had my eye on, for <3kCDN. Pity it turned out to be the Quad 2905 arcing yet another panel. Anyway, in a few days I'll have it. I very much like what MF did with the X-Can V3 (listening through it right now), so I'm betting the Nu-Vista Vinyl has the same kind of sound.

@riskymilk I went from a Pass XP-15 to a PH 9.0X. I also experienced
a wider soundstage and better detailed presentation. In my system,
the 9.0X is quieter. The XP-15 is excellent, but overall I prefer the MW.
Also, no more dip switches is a big plus for me

@blisshifi Yes, I was concerned about the authenticity of the first link I sent as well, I rather just play it safe. Just ordered the pair you sent.

@ericsch Certainly, having knobs feels great.  And the mono switch is a great plus as well. Glad to hear your impressions were similar to mine :)

@blisshifi Previously you mentioned an upgraded fuse. Are there any resources I can find on this? I'm not an expert at EE and tweaking circuits, so if this is a 'risky' upgrade I may elect to skip this.

The ModWright is a great unit, I really can't thank everyone that recommended it enough.

@riskymilk I used a Synergistic Research Blue fuse in mine. They’re no longer made, but they come up used on marketplaces. The more recent versions are the Orange and Purple. The effects of SR’s fuses are talked about (and debated) on many threads on this forum. With Synergistic Research fuses, it is always advisable to use one value over the listed value.