Upgrading from NAD 521bee--need soundstage

I have a modest system in a small room and am upgrading my cd player. I am looking for improving soundstaging and for a more precise placement of instruments therein. I have a NAD 352 integrated amp driving Tetra 120u monitors (simple and fantastic!). Bedrock cables and lead-shot weighted Sanus stands. Hero interconnects.

I am thinking a used Arcam fmj23 or fmj33, but as I get up to $800-$1000 I start wondering about the new Rega Apollo or the new Marantz 8001.

Thx in advance.
tomaswv
Soundstage is best produced in the preamp and even moreso IMHO in the power amp.The important part is that the power amp be tube. The old nonsense about sticking a small signal tube in the output of a CD (all of which exceed your budget) is not going to make your source produce soundstage through the rest of what you have. My advice is both Rega and Arcam are fuzzy wuzzy, rolled off, muted British smoking jacket players get a Music Hall,at least you will hear what is there. It will make you think you had wax in your ears listening to those British players. Don't make the mistake of confusing unclear sonics for musicality. Hey just because its Czech really and not Chinese doesn't make them sound better. I have 5 real CD players and owned 7 since joining this variant of the audio hobby, the French one croaked in less than a year. The Music hall was my first "high End" player and it still playing like it was new 5 years later.... but in my 3rd system.
Contrary to Mechan's views, I own a Rega Apollo and can tell you that it throws a huge, precise, and well-focused soundstage. Plus, it has very good extension at the frequency extremes and sounds quite dynamic. It's a fantastic bang-for-the-buck player; it wouldn't have gotten all the great reviews if it sounded as Mechans suggests.

Also, after many years in this hobby it is my view that the best performance can be achieved by keeping the electronics chain mostly solid-state. The one area where I've had great success using tubes is the line-stage preamp. And it is usually much more cost effective than trying to find a tube amp that performs to high standards and has enough power to drive your speakers.
Tomas,

I've owned lots of CD players priced between about $800 and $4000. I'm currently using a Level 2 modified Oppo 970 DVD player from EVS. The EVS level 2 Oppo 970 is the most resolving digital player I've ever owned. If it's on the recording, you are going to hear it from this player. It is very, very good and I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to maximize detail and resolution at a reasonable price.

It also has the benefit of being a universal player, playing CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD and has an HDCD decoder. So, not only is it a great universal music player, but it is fantastic for watching concert DVDs. Oh, and it has a built-in remote volume control so you can connect it directly to a power amp if you choose.

The only potential downside is the fact that it has the build quality of a typical consumer level DVD player and it has no warranty from the manufacturer because it has benn modified. But Ric Shultz is a stand up kind of guy and I'm pretty confident he would work to resolve any warranty issues that may come up.

Lastly, this Oppo player has more dynamics, better bass drive and bass resolution than any other player I've ever had in my system. It's a really fantastic player and cost between $500 and $950 depending on the level of modification. Oh, and Ric Shultz will give you your money back if you send him a brand new player for modification and you don't like the results.

Enjoy,

TIC
I have a stock Oppo and I've got to say that the build quality is awful -- cheesey, flimsy drawer and the control buttons on my unit don't work half the time when I press them. The remote usually works though and it gets a very nice picture. I'm sure the Schultz modified version sounds much better than the stock version, but it also costs much more. I doubt that you'll recoup anywhere near the cost of your investment should you decide to sell it before its poor mechanical parts quality causes it to fail...