35 years ago I bought a Rega Planar II.
- glass platter - very low wow and flutter
- new style plinth that was supposed to shed vibrations
- at the time way ahead of the competition
But - I've modified it so much the only thing left of the original is the lid and the power switch.
Would I buy Rega rtoday?
- The amount of money I've spent I could afford a nice VPI
There are so many things that need correcting on the Rega...
- the plastic sub platter (on the cheaper models)
- the arm - an Audiomods Arm is way better than most Rega offerings
- The glass platter - rings like a bell - get an acrylic platter
- the plinth - much better ones available today
On the good side - you can take your time making the various upgrades as your budget allows and there are lots of options available from many companies.
You might be very happy with the base product - but the competition has caught up and some might say they have beaten Rega at their own game.
For your budget of $1000 you can get the VPI Nomad 2https://www.musicdirect.com/store/vpi-nomad-turntable
That would be my choice :-)
Regards - Steve