Upgrading from NAD 521bee--need soundstage

I have a modest system in a small room and am upgrading my cd player. I am looking for improving soundstaging and for a more precise placement of instruments therein. I have a NAD 352 integrated amp driving Tetra 120u monitors (simple and fantastic!). Bedrock cables and lead-shot weighted Sanus stands. Hero interconnects.

I am thinking a used Arcam fmj23 or fmj33, but as I get up to $800-$1000 I start wondering about the new Rega Apollo or the new Marantz 8001.

Thx in advance.
tomaswv

Showing 1 response by mechans

Soundstage is best produced in the preamp and even moreso IMHO in the power amp.The important part is that the power amp be tube. The old nonsense about sticking a small signal tube in the output of a CD (all of which exceed your budget) is not going to make your source produce soundstage through the rest of what you have. My advice is both Rega and Arcam are fuzzy wuzzy, rolled off, muted British smoking jacket players get a Music Hall,at least you will hear what is there. It will make you think you had wax in your ears listening to those British players. Don't make the mistake of confusing unclear sonics for musicality. Hey just because its Czech really and not Chinese doesn't make them sound better. I have 5 real CD players and owned 7 since joining this variant of the audio hobby, the French one croaked in less than a year. The Music hall was my first "high End" player and it still playing like it was new 5 years later.... but in my 3rd system.