Are there any more good multi format disc players out there?

I miss the old days, circa 2007. I miss my great sounding multi channel Marantz disc player the UD7007, and the way it played dvd-audio, SACDs, and redbook convincingly. I have a lot of multi channel SACDs and dvd-a that I can’t listen to because my current player only does two channel. Does anyone know of any new players marketed for that same purpose, or do I need to get with the times, buy a streamer and admit defeat? I understand that not all multi channel audio was good, but a lot still is, and having the option to play it—in high resolution two channel as well—was terrific.

I still have the Marantz, but I was told it wasn’t worth repairing. Maybe it is after all. Maybe something on the used marketplace?

Anyone have any suggestions?

jonasandezekiel

I own an Esoteric UX-3 universal player which also plays DVD audio.  They come up here from time to time for a couple of thousand.

Maybe go to Hifi Shark and see if you can find one used.  Doubt there’s anything new like that available. 

Streaming is quickly replacing discs. There are still high quality players being manufactured… but if I had money to invest in digital… I would invest in streaming (DAC and Streamer). My streamer sounds better in most cases except when only red book CD quality is available and I have access to millions of albums for $14.99 a month via Qobuz. I am giving away all my CDs. They just take up space. The future is streaming.

I use an Ayre DX-5 DSD universal player, mainly for Blu-ray. For stereo, balanced analog goes to an Ayre KX-5 Twenty preamp; for surround HDMI to a Bryston SP-3 processor with balanced analog LR by-passed through the preamp. I think the audio and video are superb. For convenience, I mostly stream using an Ayre QX-5 Twenty serving as a DAC and Roon endpoint.

I would certainly get a repair estimate before buying something else.

how close was a 2006 to the 2007?

you could find out if your 2007 remote will work on 2006?

or, buy this remote

they hold their value, complete laser assemblys are available

It is not easy finding a SACD/CD player that you think sounds terrific. I will repair or replace my Sony xa5400es without hesitation. It doesn’t do all the formats you want.