Cambridge Audio 840C

I'm looking for a near-reference audio-only balanced CD Player. I briefly listened to the 840C in a store demo. and it sounded very good, but unfortunately I couldn't compare it to anything. Has anyone had a chance to compare the 840C to a good balanced CD Player such as the Esoteric SA-60 or SA-10, Ayre C-5xe or CX-7 or Krell SACD Standard?
sunset_ranch
Darrens, it all matters *g*

Kiwi, there is a post here somewhere where I did compare the CA 840c against the GNSC modded Wadia 830. The Wadia came out on top with better dimension, depth and definition in voices and instruments -- but we're talking about Wadia and Great Northern Sound. That should hardly be a surprise. Ultimately, however, I did decide to sell the Wadia in favor of the 840c because I was looking for a transport to use with my modded Tact 2.0s. The Wadia did not have digital outs and running the Wadia analog outs into the AtoD converter in the Tact and then the Tact DAC out to the amp just lost too much in the translation.

As Darrens noted, I have since sold the 840c because I had an opportunity to try an Oracle CD1000 transport over the holidays that I just fell in love with. Please note that it's MLP is 3 times that of the 840c. The Oracle is definitely staying put for a long time.

I still believe the 840c is an exceptional CDP and punches way out of it's price range. Definitely worth a listen no matter what price range you're looking in.
I have since sold the 840c because I had an opportunity to try an Oracle CD1000 transport over the holidays that I just fell in love with. Please note that it's MLP is 3 times that of the 840c.

Wow the transport looks great. What are you doing for a DAC? I see Oracle offer the DAC1000 which includes a pre-amp.
Kiwi, I've got a modded Tact 2.0s which has a modded DAC as well. The room correction of the Tact has done wonders for my listening room (which doubles as our living room hence no room treatments allowed ;-).

The 840c as a transport into the Tact was very, very good. The Oracle, beyond just being a gorgeous piece of equipment, added a level of body and depth to voices and instruments that I just couldn't resist.
02-25-08: Mdconnelly
Kiwi, I've got a modded Tact 2.0s which has a modded DAC as well. The room correction of the Tact has done wonders for my listening room (which doubles as our living room hence no room treatments allowed ;-).

Thanks for the update - enjoy the Oracle
I am using a Nordost Shiva currently. I find it a revealing mains cable, but it can sound thin at times depending on material. I would love some other recommendations from people with first hand experience. I just bought (on backorder right now) a Bryston BDP-1 and plan to run it through the 840C's coax input. Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.