Single vs Bi-wire Speaker Cable

I'm going to purchase some AQ speaker cables, and am considering bi-wired AQ Robin Hood Zero vs full range William Tell Zero (with quality jumpers). The bi-wired RH is about $500 more expensive than the full range WT, but on a comparable basis, WT is the more expensive cable. Any thoughts on sound quality between the options I described above would be greatly appreciated.

sdw

Hello,

Typically you want to use the full cable going to the bottom binding posts because those are the drivers that need the most current to move them properly. If you split the cable in half you are halving that gauge. Sonically it does matter. A Nordost Heimdall and a Nordost Frey are really about gauge difference which costs almost 2 times as much. On most speakers you don’t need a lot of gauge to go to the top binding posts. Most people who have Nordost just buy the standard Norse jumpers which are not very thick. Once you get to Tyr 2 cables you can think about the reference jumpers which cost 3x as much. I say for that reason, for resale or you decide to get a second cable, which might be different than the other one you own you are better to buy a single and have jumpers made by AQ. Also, Just for fun try some different jumpers, even the $180 Nordost Norse jumpers. I have used them with several non- Nordost speaker cables because they are so good. My friend is using the Nordost Jumpers with the Kirmuss speaker cables. Also, you could use the cables you have right now on the bottom posts and the AQ on the top or vise- versa. I am using Straightwire Vurtuoso single with Virtuoso jumpers custom made. I also have the Crescendo jumpers but the Virtuoso sounded better in my setup. I hope this helps. 

I would PM member ctsooner.

He owns the WT Silvers and probably auditioned the Robin Hoods, too.

And, much depends upon the speakers/equipment you are using.

My own experience is with Vandersteen speakers. When I heard the William Tell's, I was astounded by the increase in 'clarity', as well as enhancement of the bass.

FWIW, though I never considered cables to be something that would affect sound reproduction significantly, auditioning the William Tell's made a believer out of me. The stuff Garth at AQ is making is really a game changer.

Bob 

I've found bi-wire to sound better with my speakers (B&W 802D's) than jumper(s). 

Thanks to everyone who replied. The comments/suggestions were very helpful and informative. I pulled the trigger today, and purchased two full-range speaker cable pairs (1) the AQ Robin Hoods and (2) AQ Thunderbirds, a step-up from the William Tells. Will try them both, and will return one.

One additional question has come up, based upon a couple responses. Several folks suggested I should connect the speaker cables to the bass speaker posts, and then jumper to the treble posts. AQ's US retail price book, on page 23, suggests the opposite, for 3 way speakers (I have B&W 802/D2's). Thoughts?

I am using the William Tell bi wire combo with my B&W 802D3’s. Sound is wonderful.