Why Purchase A CD Player or Transport ?

I am 100% invested in vinyl, but want to improve my digital equipment chain.

Once I’ve upgraded my streaming equipment, why purchase a quality CD/SACD transport?

Is there a large enough subset of music that sounds better via optical media?

vonhelmholtz

Shazam! Some people here get it. You don't have to give up cd's just because you stream, you rip the cd's to local files, don't need a transport. I found cd rips sound quality superior to cd over transport at time I was transitioning, final nail in cd playing coffin.

Take the funds allocated to cd transport, put into streaming setup. Streaming is the future, fewer and fewer recordings will be released on cd format over time.

In our experience, transports still provide a better sound versus streaming as used for a front end.  BUT if you want better digital sound, get the best DAC that pleases you and your most of the way their.

In my experience differences in sound quality between CD, stored files, and streaming is entirely contingent on your component choices. I have extensive experience since I bought one of the first high end CD player that was released shortly after the CD was released. I constantly tried new technologies as the became available… stored files on drives, solid state drives, network attachable storage, and different streaming configurations. 

I am currently giving away all my CDs and relying exclusively on Aurender streamers. Best sound ever.

I to am a vinyl freak if you are like me you have invested the price of a nice car in you rig. If this is true IMO 4000 is not going to top your current playback. I have heard several digital streaming rigs that competes the MP 2000 R MKII has a CD also but it will set you back 10K after taxes. The others are way more expensive.