Gremlins Emerge with Switch to Windows 7

I have had generally good PC audio experiences using Windows XP.

In fact, I have viewed with skepticism a lot of the PC optimization threads as I found with USB into external DACs it was pretty straightforward to get pretty darn good sound.

So I am dismayed tonight to have finally purchased a new, and much faster laptop which operates with Windows 7.

In an A/B comparison with my old laptop, using the same USB cable into my desktop system, the new laptop sounds HORRIBLE.

Can anyone please offer a simple, lean and mean configuration in Windows 7 for exporting audio via USB?

Thank you,
cwlondon

Al,

System restore worked - thank you.

Will continue to work towards a better understanding of audio in Windows 7 and a hopefully a leaner, meaner, audiophile configuration.
PC's come out of the box as a jack of all trades (or master of none). To get them to perform as a music server you basically are doing what any good stock car racer has to do... strip out the useless parts for a performance vehicle from the standard factory model and replace highway performance parts with speed oriented parts.
Needless to say most don't want "race car" compromises in a comfortable suburban ride.
Wow am I glad I found this thread. I have a old Dell laptop that runs like a snail in wet cement, but the sound is phenominal thru my Benchmark USB DAC. I was thinking of getting a new(er) version for the speed and screen but now I am haveing serious 2nd thoughts.
-John

Re "comfortable suburban ride"

Comfort is the enemy of enthusiasm and the root of all mediocrity.

Long live enthusiasts and AUDIOgon,

Still hard to isolate this problem, but - whatever I do with the power settings - it seems like it is exacerbated when I am using more than one application.

Alternatively, if I close everything down and play just say, Foobar, for example I seem to get less skipping and sputtering.

Does this suggest a "kernel mixer" mixing problem?

I hope it is not too much to ask that I would like clean, clear, sputter free audio, whether I am listening to music or to Windows sounds.

Thanks for any updates.