Grado Prestige Gold 3

Hi all, I have a thirty five year old Linn Axis with Basic Plus tone arm in a second system that I love and I find hard to beat unless I spend $2500-3000. I am currently running an Ortofon Om30 but would like to try something new under $250-300. A friend recommended the Grado Prestige Gold 3. Anybody have any thoughts regarding this cartridge with the Basic Plus tone arm? Any other recommendations? Anyone think it’s worth spending a little more (not too much more) on something else or moving to an MC cartridge?

regg
Audio Technica VM540ML is clear and detailed. I ran a Nagaoka MP11 (now MP110) in a Basik on an LP12 and it was great.

Thanks so much, very helpful. Great link to a great review Yogiboy.  Noromance, how was the Nagaoka with voices and acoustic music, which is what I listen to most often. Speakers are Harbeth P3’s if that’s any help.

@regg the Nag is warm yet detailed and sweet as a nut. You can't go wrong for the price. The VM540 and 750 are a bit more incisive and transparent.

I use a vintage Pioneer PL-707 turntable with a Darlinton Labs MP-7 phono amp on my main rig. I listen to mostly jazz and some rock and pop. Started collecting vinyl in the 60's.

I bought the Audio Technica VM 540 after reading all the positive reviews. It is very detailed in the mids but tends to be a little too sterile for my set-up. Never tried a Nagaoka.

I like vintage cartridges and my favorite is the Stanton 681EEE using a new Vivid Line Stylus. It is money. Very smooth and detailed with better separation and more bass slam than the the VM 540. I also own and like the Shure V-15 Type III with a Jico SAS stylus but the Stanton sounds better in my system.

I bought my Stanton 681 for $85 bucks off fleabay and the new Vivid Line stylus from LP Tunes. Best cart I've heard on my mid-fi setup. Great combo on the cheap.