Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Paul, few pages back I have posted Paul Desmonds concert in Canada, if you do not have it, check it out...there is also a 7 cd edition of it...this one is double cd, on Verve, great sonics

Hello Alek hope your having a great summer. The 7 disc set is 300 bucks on Discogs so I settled for the 2 disc set

I am dismayed at the number of people that stay stuck on the old classic names. Not that they aren't worthy. For heaven's sake I started out on those same albums back in the 60s but if I had stopped there I would never have heard musicians like Furgison, Brubeck, and others, Also there are a huge number of new albums coming out that are great. Now I know that a lot of the music is someone trying certain songs from out of the history books to show their proficiency, but it doesn't have to end there and even with those oldies, there are newer ingenious ways of doing them that make a newer artist stand out in the crowd. One example of such an artist might be Youn Sun Nah. Now she does generic old songs and sounds just like everyone else UNTIL you run across tunes like her Jazz rendition of "Ghost Riders in the Sky' (the live version is 100 times better than the album version) and a few other songs she cuts loose on. There are things she does with her vocal cords that should be Illegal. I know of one jass site that lists most new albums out and they have many new ones every day. Literally Hundreds of albums just in the first half of this year. I have a small collection of albums (2000+ with over 700 artists) that I have come to find the old stuff Boring and am constantly looking for that new voice that is so much different than anyone else.

Was that a gauntlet I heard drop?   The man has been on the site 2 days and this is his second post!!  Surely you Aficionados will not stand for this outrageous assault.

Cheers

I think that he has the right to speak his mind and new blood is welcome no ?

And anyway it is a shame Youn Sun Nah the korean jazz/pop/folk singer is not more known ... She is more than simply talented.... It is a versatile singer like Joni Mitchell was...A true artist...

And why not Elena Frolova , a less impressive voice, but a no less impressive poet.... But here we are no more in jazz for sure...

I apologize...

i listen geniuses nevermind the genre anyway....I quit listening genre and style only long ago...Any great musician will do even chinese one, jazz or not... :) 😁😊

Then welcome to anyone who dare to speak his mind...

Or is it a closed club?

By the way i always spoke for myself and dont appeal toward an invisible crowd for help to attack someone, especially newcomer...

Sorry but i spoke also my mind...

We are all friends here and may differ of opinion, this is a good thing....Not a reason to throw stones to anybody....

I like discussion a lot with reason....

I am dismayed at the number of people that stay stuck on the old classic names.

I will only add that i love classic in jazz because i dont know all of them by far....

Then my only criterion isnot new versus old jazz, but genius versus more ordinary....

Then i differ with our new guest on this point....