New Project RS2T transport

I have had one already and sent it back, did not work at all upon receipt. Dealing with the Music Room though is a pleasure. Will always do business with them. Had unit replaced with a new one, just arrived Yesterday, Sunday afternoon 7-25-22. Hooked it up and SAID WOW!!! I have a Meitner MA-1 DAC and the synergy is Fabulous. Right out of the box it sounded, GREAT. So very OPEN. I have been blessed when upgrading several pieces to be totally surprised by the improvements. VERY Audible!

I am somewhat concerned though as there have been a great deal of posts about quality control issues. (see first sentence)  As I said unit sounds GREAT, very impressed. HOWEVER, if anyone can comment that owns one, I noticed when placing the little magnetic puck on the disc that it just sits atop the center spindle and does not contact disc. The magnetic puck has a female center on the underside that goes over a very small  male metal protrusion. (SPINDLE)   I would think that it should go over that spindle totally and meet the disc firmly. (no space between disc and puck??? When I place puck on top of CD, It appears that the machining on the underside of the hole should be a MM wider so it doesn't sit atop the spindle and drops down totally on the disc. Hope this makes sense. Thanks Robert TN    Ps would like to thank Charles1 DAD  for encouraging me to stick with transport. It is that GOOD!!!   Just wondering if they all are designed to do what I am experiencing?

robshaw

. I cant believe how much better this unit sounds then my Cambridge CXC. What are these folks doing that improves the sound quality of a stupid transport? Secret internal DSP? Very happy with the results. I’m using the AES output to a Schiit Yggy. Old Threshold S-500 amp.

John,

Numerous factors are responsible for the high quality sound you’re hearing. In my humble opinion, I believe that the major contributing factor is the latest Stream Unlimited CD Pro-8  drive and Blue Tiger-84 servo card integrated unit. I hope that your RS2T continues to perform flawlessly (As has been my experience thus far). Congratulations!

Charles

John, so happy for you. I have been using my 6000 cdt audiolab, probably similar to your Cambridge. I know the joy your experiencing with the RS2T,as I did the same. Like having a new CD collection. I am going to try a third unit soon, as soon as the Music Room gets one. I hope the 3rd is the charm.  Two have already gone back. BEST OF LUCK, I'm jealous. Enjoy  Robert

At this rate it has to make sense to try the Jays. Multiple units coming defective. What’s the long-term longevity of the unit with this many QC issues? 

I myself use an Audiolab and have been thinking very hard about upgrading to the Project, but not with this failure rate. 

+1 kingdeezie build quality seems like an afterthought , especially given its price. A shame given the apparent sound quality that it produces. I went from a Cambridge CXC to a Simaudio 260DT , built really well and a nice step up in SQ, added to by switching from its SPDIF to AES/EBU connection. No idea how it compares to the Project or the Jay's SQ wise, but if I make another move I will try the Jay's top model given the questionable build of the Project that continues to be reported

kingdeezie:   Yes it does, and you are correct. My wife and I had a similar argument (discussion, she made me put that in)  We were both on the fence, that said, one more time, only because I heard the SOUND!!  I wish I had a listen to the new BIG JAY"S unit. People have said that the smaller Jay's unit is not as good as the project RS2T, which makes mean lean towards the Big one. I guess time will tell.  A lot of the transport/DAC's some people are recommending are very good, I'm Sure. But, i really like my Meitner MA-1, so all I need is a good transport. Robert