Acoustic Signature turntables

I do not see a lot written about these turntables by end users. Can anyone share experiences or opinions on reliability, use, and design considerations?

Some of my observations or questions (keep in mind these are naive as I have never heard these models and I may be wrong about assumptions made).

1. Why the multiple motors? This is the one I struggle in understanding. Is the AVC (motor vibration reduction) that they provide somehow enhanced when working across more than one motor? How is this different than other motor vibration reduction methods such as the Rega method? Whether additional noise or reduced drive capability, who knows (?). How long to get up to speed?

2. Standard bearing vs inverted vs magnetic. I suppose there will never be consensus but noticed AS steadfastly implements standard bearings that focus on the materials used.

3. Platter dampening. Their method seems to work well. However, I noticed comments about earlier models being overly damped. The dampening increases up the product line.

4. Very heavy platters compared to some competition. Even the lower models have very heavy platters so they seem to think this is important.

5. Subplatter vs no subplatter. AS seems to have moved to subplatter design for models that can take multiple arms. Did they always think this method was superior?

6. Tonearms. Not much out there about the tonearms. Seems once again standard design but focus on materials…carbon fiber and bearings.

7. Back to motors. AS uses AC motors. Kuzma insists on DC. I guess I can try to read up on the differences and why manufacturers prefer different types. Any thoughts here? I am probably not be smart enough to understand the finer points about turntable motors (lol).

8.  Warranty.  AS seems to offer the longest warranty.  As with other warranties, what good is it if no design specs and performance tolerances are published?  Seems few turntable manufacturers publish relevant specs these days.  On one hand, I understand why in dealing with picky audiophiles and on the other hand, unfortunate.

Would appreciate additional thoughts. Thanks!

plinko

I think the initial Acoustic Signature Company was plagued with some internet issues that certainly tarnished their name. That said the company rebounded and I can say from personal experience their tables now are rock solid, incredible engineering and build quality and pricey to boot. If I had the $$ I wouldn’t hesitate purchasing one. Customer Service in the US has certainly improved as well.

I’m getting to close to 20 years on my lightly used Final Tool and I wouldn’t hesitate to have another AS table. Nothing but reliable and the manufacturer has been quick to respond with my inquiries.

voolston - audiophile by day, music lover at night

@rsf507 , I demoed two tables (Kuzma Stabi R and Acoustic Signature Tornado).  Quite hard to say anything relevant about the demos as I was completely unfamiliar  with both systems.  I did not hear any “red flags”.  Surface build quality on both tables fantastic with Acoustic Signature surface build quality being massively impressive.

@all, I am not worried about Acoustic Signature.  If I had a problem with the AS, I would have my wife talk to Herr und Frau Froenhoefer as she is a native of Germany.  However, they may find her Cologne accent more peculiar than mine.   ;-)

I found this video with Mr. Kuzma quite interesting…particularly the part where he talks about motors, torque, and platter run down time.  

@plinko I'm sure you can't go wrong with either a AS or Kuzma tabke, both are 1st class. To me I'd prefer the DC motor also the AS is a bit "blinky" IMO but everyone has different preferences.

Keep us posted on what you end up with and enjoy.