Subwoofers and Crossovers.

My system is Cary DMS-550 / Luxman L-507uxii / Spendor D7.2

After researching I decided to add an active crossover and two stereo subs to the system.

1. I am looking at JL Audio CR-1 as the crossover.  This will take the pre-out from the Luxman and feed mains-in and setup the Luxman as separates. Is there anything else that I should look at?  I am only looking at analog solutions.
  2. After looking a REL, Rythmic, SVS, Martin Logan and JL, I am leaning towards getting two JL Dominion D110s.  Would these subs be sufficient or should I be getting JL E110s? I won’t be using the internal crossovers, so primary concern is fidelity.
  3. If I am unable to treat the room properly, I may be introducing a DSP solution just for the subwoofers.

I am looking for some advice from people who have walked this path before me on both the active crossover and the quality of D110s. 

I would appreciate any advice on this process of integrating subwoofers into a two channel audio system.

dimbhaka

I don’t know of many mid priced ones. There are cheap ones and pricy ones from JL, Bryston, and wilson audio. 

I have read some people say you can just use an inline resistor to act as a high pass. You could probably find a thread about it here probably. 

@james633 , Thank you, I will search the forum. I will probably use low cost high pass filter and then replace it with the JL CR-1 later.

You should try the subs running the speakers full range. You might not need any high pass filter!

If you are looking at DSP solutions, many of them also have digital crossovers for subs and then the extra channels of DAC that that requires. So going that way, you could avoid the considerable cost of the CR-1.

Examples are the Anthem STR Preamp, miniDSP SHD, and DSpeaker X4. I'm using the Anthem to drive 4 subs now, with very nice results.

I have no doubt the JL is excellent (a friend who could buy anything uses it).

A lot depends on whether you want to maintain an all-analog path or not.

So I'm not recommending any specific gear, just that you consider your objectives and what kind of signal path would let you get there within your budget and with the kind of sound you enjoy. Luxman and Spendor make a nice system!

@yogiboy I am sure, just adding the D110s will help, but one of the main reason I looking to this is to unload the bass frequencies from the mains.

@mike_in_nc , I really like the sound of Cary DMS-550 and the Luxman L-507uxii and am unwilling to insert a digital processor after the Luxman pre. Don't get me wrong, if I were to setup a new system from scratch, I will definitely get a Pre/DSP and a power amp.

I will probably introduce a DSP just for the subs though.