Phono Stage Amp

I have a mid-level to low end turntable. (Music Hall 11.1) and a low end decent Phono Stage Music Fidelity M1. Good tonearm and good cartridge. 

I listen to JAZZ so volume isn't too much of an issue, but sometimes I just want it loud. I have Cary Audio slp-05 tube pre and the Cary Audio mono block main tube amps as drivers

I crank the volume up just past half way and there tends to be distortion. Below half way the sound is incredible. The records sound better than the corresponding CD or, of course, DAC streaming.

Would upgrading my phono-stage to one with greater boost help me? Or is that half (my whole phono system) of my system as good as it could get?  

128x128cinqcepages

@cinqcepages not sure what the 11.1 went for new, but the newest 11.3 is $4999, so yea not a cheapie.

I have the same problem with the Mofo phono stage.  I get a fuzz sound at higher volume.  Clear audio concept, Hana mC, McIntosh ma252, Wilson watt puppy 7.

everything sounds great until I get a little past 50% volume.  There’s no noise running my DAC or CD player.  I believe changing my phono will also involve a new integrated amplifier.

However your current phono stage / cartridge match is DEFINITELY a problem; it’s just that you may be dealing with multiple issues here.

@mulveling

The root problem is WHY crank the volume up just past half way and there tends to be distortion.

If the M1 can’t provide enough voltage to feed the downstream components, then the preamp volume control should be able to turn all the way to max to add gain. It may increase noise level but not distortion.

The root problem is WHY crank the volume up just past half way and there tends to be distortion.

If the M1 can’t provide enough voltage to feed the downstream components, then the preamp volume control should be able to turn all the way to max to add gain. It may increase noise level but not distortion.

In theory that’s fine, but especially with TT gear involved, my experience is that if you don’t keep the signal in a "sweet spot" range at EVERY stage, bad things happen - and at best, suboptimal sound is the result. OP needs to fix the phono stage mismatch either way.

If OP gets a better phono stage and the distortion still remains at higher listening levels, then other potential culprits like feedback (solutions: better isolation, or simply moving the table, maybe a subsonic rumble filter...) should be examined in further detail. One problem at a time...

@cinqcepages,

FWIW: The cat Eye tube upfront as output level indicator. If that cat’s eye ever blinks shut while you’re playing your tunes, you’ve reached full power from the Cary 805 amp.

Below is from Stereophile measurements:

Cary 805 amp voltage gain averaged 23.2dB at 5dB feedback (into an 8 ohm load, slightly less into a 4 ohm load, slightly more into a 16 ohm load). With 0dB of feedback, the gain increased to 25.2dB; with 10dB of feedback it dropped to 18.2dB (all into an 8 ohm load).

Mike