How can I add MQA decoding with my current setup?

I currently use Peachtree Audio PreDac and to my understanding this unit does not decode MQA. Short of replacing this unit entirely, I’m looking for a solution to add without breaking the bank. I stream audio from my pc using Tidal. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

ricmech23

Roon will allow you to decode MQA, unfortunately, you have to pay for the service.

JRiver seems to not be wanting to do so.

If I recall, Bluesound does the first unfolding, but not the full unfolding in the Node.

To add to what others have opined, MQA is a lossy format that you have to pay for, so why bother? I just moved to Qobuz and listen to high rez lossless.

Bob

You need hardware to do a full unfold. Roon on its own doesn't get you there. Bluesound will do a full unfold through its analog outputs.  As others said, consider ditching Tidal and go with Qobuz. No special hardware needed. Then you can add an external DAC when you're ready to upgrade and not limit yourself. 

It hasn’t been too long since I got the PreDac so I really do not want to change it out yet. I may look into Qobuz as a solution. I’m starting to wonder if going through the trouble of even getting a DAC that would unfold MQA is even worth it since some say it doesn’t make a noticeable difference. That’s not the first time I’ve heard that. 

I spent a couple of hours at my dealer listening to several recordings that I knew really well with Roon and MQA.  I was very familiar with all of the equipment used except the amplification, which was McIntosh.  There were 2 pieces where I slightly preferred the MQA, in the rest Qobuz won every time.