Are You Happy With Your Phono Preamp?

I have been gradually upgrading my analogue components.  Which presently consist of: SME 20/2 turntable (old but good), Kuzma 4Point Tonearm, Soundsmith Hyperion (MI) cartridge (love this), Dynavector (MC) DRT XV1, PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp (connected to ARC Ref 6, Pass Labs 160.8, Avantgarde Uno).  I have to say that I am very happy with the analogue sound from this system.  That said, high end audio being what it is I can’t help wondering if I am leaving some better sound on the table with the PS Audio phono preamp … though I know I should not judge by price alone.  I have been looking alternative phono stages:  the VTL 6.5i, ARC Reference 3SE, Boulder 508, Pass XP17 … this price range.  Those who are long experienced analogue lovers … do you think I am leaving any sound quality on the table by sticking with the PS Audio phono stage? Do you believe that I would see a meaningful change in sound quality by moving to a phono stage in the price range I have been looking at?

chilli42

Yes the GN PH-10 with its matching ps is wonderful, make sure you give it at least 300 hrs of break-in. Enjoy

Nothing wrong with the PS Audio Steller phono pre. Your problem is, if you start making lateral moves (^^^^^^^) by the above suggestions, you’ll never stop chasing your tail, looking for that “next big thing dujour!!”

I recently bought a used Pass Labs XP 17 phonostage and I am absolutely delighted with it.  To begin with in my system it is stone silent even with my 106 dB sensitivity speakers.  Also its dynamics are exemplary, markedly improved over my previous Parasound JC3 Jr. which it replaced.  The XP 17 also seems to me to combine the best SQ characteristics of tube phonostages, which I have owned, and solid state.  I brings new realism to the sound of my LPs.  I highly recommend it.

My latest moves have been going from a parasound JC3 to ARC PH8 (cannot understate the level of improvement).  I was blown away.

Shortly after I traded the PH8 in on an ARC Ref Phono 3.  Again, I was absolutely stunned.  I didn't realize what I had been missing.  It seemed like the level of improvement was on the same magnitude as the JC3 to PH8 move (huge).

The rest of my system is ARC and I agree that there is great synergy there.

The PS Audio is a fine unit, but I wound up buying one of the last Herron VTPH-2A phono preamps.  Not even a touch of regret and I've had no desire to make a change there.  You might be able to find one used, but they don't come up often and they go really quick, and for good reason.