Billie or Ella? Maria or Renata? Technique or feeling?

I stand back to no one in my admiration for Ella Fitzgerald's technique but all the vocal fireworks make for precious little emotion. Billie Holiday on the other hand makes you feel she's singing just for you.

Technique vs emotion also goes in listening to Renata Tebaldi (superb technique) and Maria Callas who like Lady Day makes you feel she's singing just for you.

David Oistrakh was a violinist who combined flawless technique with raw emotion. Sviatoslav Richter was his counterpart on piano. Their modern day successors are Julia Fischer on violin and Daniil Trifonov on piano.

chowkwan

As @hilde45 said, one can’t really argue taste.

To me, there is a perfection to Ella’s singing that can seem a bit cool emotionally. Her intonation is beyond perfect -- I’ve never heard a singer do what she does, and so smoothly. I love listening to her singing, and then I move on for a while.

My own tastes run towards the grittier sounding singers such as Abbey Lincoln, Betty Carter, Carmen McRae (especially as she aged), Shirley Horn. The latter two were also fine pianists. Each of them knew how to bend pitch and timing to aim for the heart, and in Carter’s case, sometimes her inventiveness made me laugh.

I’m trying to get to know some of the newer singers who are interesting, not just blond and sultry. Some I’m enjoying are Champian Fuller, Cécile McLoren Salvant, Chantal Chamberlain, and Tierney Sutton.

So much talent! Who are the great new male vocalists?

Feeling, every time for me, though I must confess that Billie Holiday gives me a headache every time.

An appalling voice, down there with Adele!

Maybe that’s the problem with feelings, they’re usually just so subjective.

Whereas with technique, there’s normally very little to disagree about. Hank Marvin, Jimmy Hendrix and Eric Clapton are all good technicians despite their obvious differences.

You’re often better off with performers that seem to have a good balance of both - the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Elvis Presley, Judy Garland, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, the Smiths etc.

How 'bout virtuosity in the pursuit of emotional expression? Ah, that's the ticket! Then again, if I just had to choose one it'd be heart over brain any day.

Ella's best years are the Decca and early Verve. Particularly with minimal accompaniment.  

"vocal fireworks make for precious little emotion." Maybe you're referring to the later 60's and forward schmaltzy, overproduced "pop" Ella that many think of when she's mentioned?

Billie's work up  thru the 50's is where she peaked.

Billie vs. Ella? You can't go there....you just can't!