Eminent Technology 8b Speakers - Amp/wattage Recommendations

I recently purchased a nearly new pair of 8bs. I am now looking for an amplifier. 

My preference is tubes over SS.

The room is 23x15x10 feet dedicated for music. 

I like to play music fairly loud at times. 

I will likely biamp, meaning whatever tube amp I end up using will receive a high-pass filtered signal and drive only the mid and high freq panel drivers. 

I am aware that Bruce T recommends 75-200 watts. 

I am considering two options, (a) Quicksilver KT monos with KT150 tubes (100 watts) and (b) another amp by a boutique builder using 4 KT 120 per side and 120 watts. 

My preference is option (a), but worry that 100 watts is not sufficient. 

I would appreciate any real-world experience on how many watts is practically needed with the 8bs. Are they as power hungry as I think they are, or is 100 watts more than enough? 

Does bi-amping make a difference, meaning one can get away with using less watts since you are driving only the mids/high drivers and not the subs? 

Any feedback or suggestions from 8b users would be appricated. 

Thanks much! 

jwr159

If you plan to use xover filtering before the amp then how you disable crossover inside of the speakers? 

You don't have to disable the internal crossovers, you are just doing it before the crossover sees it, no harm no fowl.

@jwr159 apologize if I misunderstood, originally I thought you planned to bi-amp the LFT8B speakers alone, like this on the rear. Using the QSC amp with separate subs should give you plenty. This is similar to how I run my setup, with custom dual Scanspeak subs. Works great, the QS amps don’t have to work so hard, and low level volume listening is more enjoyable too.

8B:

@russ69   I would assume that this would concatenate filters affecting not only attenuation, but also the slope dB/octave, unless filters are very far off crossover points to remove, for instance, lowest frequency (high energy) from tube amp.  I suspect that this might be OP's objective.  Either way it doesn't matter if sound is to his liking.

The plan is to use:

1.  a HP filter between my preamp and the QS amp, which will driver only the mid and high frequency panels. I am not sure of the filter frequency just yet, but probably somewhere in the 50-100Hz range. If I'm not mistaken the mid panel driver plays down to 100Hz. 

2. Use the on-board Xover on the 8s to handle the crossover between the mid and high frequency drivers; and 

3. the built-in DSP/crossover functionality in the QSC to drive my subs. . 

With the above arrangement, I believe the low frequency drivers on the 8b's will be eliminated from the equation altogether.

I assume if the QS amps does not have to amplify the low frequencies, I am hoping to get more bang out of those 100 watts. This a fair assumption? 

I would think it might be good assumption, but I'm not sure about tube amps.  It would be better to ask tube amp experts like atmasphere.

@atmasphere Ralph, could you chime in?  Does limitting low end allow to play louder?  I know that with some amps, like class D  Zobel network  limits power at high frequencies anyway.