How did you get started in this hobby

As a college kid, my roommate had KLH speakers, the Beatles Sgt. Peppers came out and homegrown Flemington flash came on the scene. My eyes were opened along with my ears. I visited a local audio store Audiolab and another not too far away Soundex. The effect on my listening, I was stunned by what I was hearing and how the management just let me listen to all the gear knowing I was just window shopping. I'll never forget Soundex( out by Willow Grove Pa)  letting me listen to all their rooms at different price points and more than a few occasions.One room had $30,000 each in electronics and $100,000 speakers. Well, I could not afford even the entry-level stuff but again my horizon was broadened. So off I went to NYCity with my roommate in tow. I ran into an audio store while he waited in the car and asked the sales guy what I could buy with the meager dollars I had. I picked up a pair of AR speakers, and a Dual Turntable, my roommate had an old HH Scott that was in his father's food store that did not work. I got it fixed for free by the teacher of the electronics class in my High school where  I would occasionally substitute teach ( babysit) to get beer money for college Thursday night beer sessions at the Extension bar.

Much later a fellow employee who was an audiophile got me connected with his buddy an audio salesman who sold me his Snell c2 mk.2 speakers and another of his friends who was looking to sell his Adcom GFP 400 pre amp/tuner and GFA 555 amp along with thick monster cable. Adcom was just starting up around 1980 and was thirty minutes away in New Brunswick NJ. For a box of donuts, they went over my gear and made some changes to the amp and preamp. I remember their CD player had a tendency to jump if vibrated that was fixed as well all while I waited for  just for a box of doughnuts.  Woo that was my system for almost 40 years.  I wanted something different, I found out about Audiogon and bought within a week a Technics SU G 700  and Canton speakers about two years ago at tremendous savings from local audiophiles one in bucks county near New Hope Pa., and another in Freehold NJ. That's my story. from start to finish.

Based on what I've seen here I am not an audiophile but someone just interested in listening to good music with good gear at good savings and who is intrigued by the character ( good and bad) I see on here and the stellar systems they have.

scott22

Hobby!!!???? For me this isn't a hobby. Its part of my life. I can't remember when I didn't love music. I spent my allowance $$$ on 45's when I was 8-9 yrs old. In my 20's we moved around a lot and the 1st thing to go into the P/U truck was my stereo and my drums.. It was the 1st thing set up when we arrived at the new place. I started an all out assault in about 2k because I wanted to see where it lead. How much better can the music sound? This is the best I've had and it sounds great. I'm often surprised at the idea that this is a hobby. Its little wonder that many drop out of this hobby after a while. Thats the nature of hobbies. I've had lots of hobbies...golf, motorcycles, hunting, models, poker, etc etc. They all went by the wayside. music never has. As REO said, "Can't you see I'll always be a music man"

artemus_5

Hobby!!!???? For me this isn't a hobby. Its part of my life. I can't remember when I didn't love music ... I'm often surprised at the idea that this is a hobby. Its little wonder that many drop out of this hobby after a while. Thats the nature of hobbies. I've had lots of hobbies...golf, motorcycles, hunting, models, poker, etc etc. They all went by the wayside. music never has.

+1, @artemus_5. For me, music and audio is actually a lifestyle. And you're right about those who "drop out" of audio because for them, it was just a hobby. Having a passion for music is something other than a "hobby."

It started with the Beatles "Meet the Beatles" on my cheap GE all in one portable player.  My parents bought an all in one Magnavox big stereo "box".  My first purchased system was Dahlquist DQ10 speakers, Mcintosh 2205 amp, C28 pre amp and an B&O 4002 turntable.  It's still evolving. 

@artemus_5 ​​​@cleeds

+1 For me as well… a lifetime pursuit… something constant through career changes, partners, lifestyle changes, where I lived.

I always had state of the art audio systems and a huge music library when I was out four wheel driving 12 hours a day all over the Southwest as a geologist. I had a 100 wpc system in my motel room with detachable speakers in Beatty, Elko, and Eureka Nevada…. Across Arizona, New Mexico… etc.

In airplanes I had separate earphones, DACs and amps across Europe, Asia and Mexico for decades… I collected all sorts of local music when living in Japan and Scotland. As technology advanced I had access to thousands of albums as I worked in China and Mexico… Portugal… on and on. I got some $1,000 bills in mainland China for overusing cellular data. Fortunately I was an executive by then and the company covered it.

Yeah, hobby would be somewhat of an understatement in my case. Also, to me the rewards far exceed just a hobby. I put on a Celtic album and I am swept to the North shore of Scotland where I hiked down to the water without seeing anyone for hours… and in the distance someone played the bagpipes… music triggers emotional responses back into rich experiences.

Then there has been my home systems.

My first "system" was a crystal radio with ear plug, back in 1965.  I went to sleep every night with that plug in my ear.  For me, that journey has never stopped.  It happens, not that it matters, that I now have a very high end system.  None of my friends or most everyone I've ever met are "audiophiles" (whatever that means), and they don't share my passion for music.  Sometimes when people are in my home they will show an interest my my stereo, and I will say sit right here and let me show you just how good music can sound.  How it can be an emotional experience.  I'll say just close your eyes and let it wash over you for the next 5 minutes.  I might play a duet of acoutic guitars.  It never fails to amaze me how most of them will only sit for about two minutes before losing interest and getting out of the chair.  And there in lies the difference between most of the good folks on this forum, and the great unwashed masses of humanity.  They just don't share our passion for the music.  🤣.  Now, loving beautiful equipment is another story onto itself...........