Convert Flac to Wav - how to & HD space need?

Hi

Have all my CDs ripped to FLAC, and want to convert them to uncompressed WAV files.

I currently have 1100 CDs, using up 308 GBs(In FLAC).

Which software do you recommend to convert to WAV?
+
How much more space will I need on my HD?

Thanks
128x128saffy
If he really found audible differences, well.. If it isn't a software problem then I'm afraid I have to call it placebo.

Have a listen yourself, can you hear any differences?

Osgorth - I'm with you,

But what we have here is a real credible sourse thats' been researching this for 2 yrs...

Are all bits created equal? logically yes - but based on other anomolies, and other crazy exceptions in this hooby i would have to believe that they might not be in this circumstance.

No: I have not got to the stage of personal testing.

Osgorth - I'm with you,

But what we have here is a real credible sourse thats' been researching this for 2 yrs...

Are all bits created equal? logically yes - but based on other anomolies, and other crazy exceptions in this hooby i would have to believe that they might not be in this circumstance.

No: I have not got to the stage of personal testing yet.
It doesn't really matter if he hears a difference. Good for him I'd say, to each his own. :)

This isn't a "all cables are identical" or similar debate though, don't get that impression. I'm telling you though that within the domain of a computer, everything is fully predictable and follows a strict set of logic. I am a professional programmer and analyst since the early 90s so I know very well how computers work. All bits are equal, yes. Audible differences can only occur if you treat those bits in some fashion, or somehow manage to corrupt them in the process. The latter is certainly possible given a sloppy software design, but I'd say it's quite rare. Use a good and well-respected player such as Foobar 2000 and I can guarantee you that there is zero difference between any lossless formats.

As soon as the bits leave the computer domain however, all bets are off. Typically this is via a digital output on the computer to an external DAC. From the point where the bits starts travelling from the digital output, they are susceptible to jitter. This is when you enter the world of hifi. Not before!

Still, I believe the confusion comes from a lack of understanding how data compression works, and a default prejudice against compression. "Surely an uncompressed file sounds better". :)

By the way that link you're posting doesn't work, it looks truncated?
Osgorth

Your point is well taken.

Ok - I will start by using FLAC to make my CD-Rs using Nero as you suggested, them make one with uncompressed.

Any important settings or pifalls to using Nero?

Here it is complete:
http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/whitepaper/Black_CDsII.pdf