DAC diminishing returns

Looking for some experienced input on the diminishing return as you go up the the DAC ladder. I mostly stream music and occasionally listen to CDs.  Currently, I’m using a Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC.  It’s connected to my Naim Nait 5Si and that drives Zu Omen ii speakers. In my limited experience, I have not heard any substantial differences when changing DACs.  I’m considering a Denafrips Pontus DAC.  Does the significantly higher cost justify what might be a marginal increase in sound quality?  Is buying a more expensive DAC for better sound just splitting hairs, and making you feel better about your system?  Are different DACs just different coloration of the sound?

I don’t want to be duped into buying something I don’t really need. Thanks.

dsfreeh
Post removed 

I will say that, yes, you can hear differences between DAC's.

I don't know what other DAC's you have listened to, but comparing the Schiit Bifrost to, say the Gungnir or Yggy, it is easy to hear the difference in sound quality.

If you have compared those two and haven't noticed a difference, then I would say you shouldn't spend more money on DAC's.

Bob

@gdnrbob ​​​​@steakster

seems to me the best advice of all, for all those pursuing system improvements -- in a system one is already enjoying -- for whatever reason, is...

try it in your own system -- ideally without irreversibly committing to the cost of the item -- then be honest with yourself, can you hear a real improvement? if not, move on, just enjoy the music

other people might, or say they do... but that hardly matters, right?

@carlsbad: "It seems like "just music"...."

Seems an odd choice of words.  While I don't think it is what you meant, most people would take a system sounding like "just music" as quite the compliment.  😉

With any luck the new Dac may push the rest of the system to it’s limits. Then you realize how much really like the upgrade. but soon ya just want more. Then you upgrade, buy a sub, cables then upgrade xyz. So you tell me.

Does the significantly higher cost justify what might be a marginal increase in sound quality? Is buying a more expensive DAC for better sound just splitting hairs, and making you feel better about your system? Are different DACs just different coloration of the sound?

Only you can say. How far do you want to go? Keep in mind that its about the music, not the equipment and you’ll be alright. When you get to your destination, you buy less and less and enjoy