Recommend Halfler XL-280 Repair/Restore/Rebuild ?

Per the thread title, my long-term Halfler XL-280 requires, at minimum, a repair. As anyone reading this probably knows, this amp was a very popular unit for hobbyists and rebuild shops.

I see plenty of repair kits on eBay, but my next session with a soldering iron will be my first. Can anyone recommend a repair/restore shop, preferably in the mid-Atlantic/northeast?

Or would you recommend instead sending it to either Musical Concepts or Audio By Van Alstine for a complete teardown and rebuild?

Much thanks for any advice or pointers . . .

rwstone

Okay, it sounds like the consensus is that repairing or restoring the Hafler to original specs isn’t worth the fee and freight, if I can’t do it myself.

But what about the mod shops that utilize the amp chassis, namely those from Audio By Van Alstine and Musical Concepts? That is, would the $1000 necessary to create a "new" amp in the old chassis be better spent on a newly manufactured amp?

That is, would the $1000 necessary to create a "new" amp in the old chassis be better spent on a newly manufactured amp?

Yes. 

I had a Hafler pre and amp way back in ‘67 (whoops, that was Steely Dan talking) way back in the 80’s, great stuff, but I agree with others, unless you want it for nostalgic reasons, buy something newer in age.