hearing loss and amp choices

Found out yesterday that I have about 25-30% hearing loss in the right ear. Anything around 4000 hz and I display a sharp drop.

Currently looking for a new integrated such as the Vsi75, Sim Audio 700 series, Pass int 25, Belles Aria Sig and my distributor recommended the Rotel RA 6000 series which they are about to carry this  month.

The speakers are the very neutral and flat Studio 100's by ProAc.

My question revolves around the fact of hearing loss vs. expense for SQ. In other words what am i doing to be looking at a 10 or 16 thousand dollar int if my hearing won't appreciate it?

Do I look for something more articulated like the Rotel? Can I appreciate the nuances of tube gear with their richness?

Had Primare stuff (I-30) prior to this but it blew during a power surge and to tell the truth, thought the sound was a bit sterile with this series with little mid bass weight. Now I wonder if all this doesn't matter and should be looking for something with articulation that previously may have thought as "cold".

Just exploring what some of you may have experienced with any hearing loss in regard to previously perceived perceptions to SQ.

arro222

If you work with the audiologist who is fitting your aids, their response curve can be adjusted to your needs and/or preferences.

Mine can be adjusted without a trip back to the office, btw. You could potentially have a test record or app running concurrently to ’dial yourself in’, so to speak.

Given that many here spend more on their systems than a good pair of aids, what’s the point if the last 1" from ear to gray matter is the most compromised?

Think of them as a good pair of headphones you wear all day.

Surprised me what I’d been missing just being outside...I could hear birdsong again....

Priceless, that...

@arro222 ,

I’m not sure if you mentioned a price you would be willing to pay, but finding an amp with a balance control would be the place I’d start.

hi ,everybody,i am 68 now ,i use hearing aids from phonac paradise they brought back my music up to 9600 hz  .Here in France the top ones from phonak ,the paradise,  costs about 4000$ for a pair ,to suit your hearing you must choose the right audiologist very very carefully too ,because he is the one who adjusts the aids to what you were missing (on 16 different frequencies for the most accurate model) ,he musts take his  time to receive you for tests 3 or 4 times at least during  the first 6 months .The first  15 days, you must get used to the aids ,then you will  rediscover your music with the subtilities you even forgot ,the birds outside and so on .Please consider this as a  friendly advice and don't waste time and money in a new system .Invest in a (only)best  hearing aid,( i tried different ones and it is absolutly worth it)as you would for amp and speakers .I don't know if it is possible to have one for a month  trial where you live but if i was totally reluctant even to the idea before the trial  i am know and since 2 years so happy with it .

arro222, there's a difference between having a frequency related notch and having a 20-25% hearing loss in the ear in question. Very many people encounter age related loss between 2 and 4KHz - it really depends on how severe it is. Also, what is the performance of your other ear like?

As has been suggested above, changing your system is not the way to go. An equalizer is worth experimenting with or ultimately hearing aids if the problem is really severe.