I am out of the loop for knowledge on high end auto music systems

At one time I had also invested money and time in good stereo systems for good cars, but have been out of that market for too long.  I would consider doing an upgrade to the stereo in an older used car I have, which is a '91 Porsche 944S2.  

Where do you feel I should start on my info finding journey?   Mainly for FM reception and multi cd (perhaps SACD} playback.

jusam

944/968 is so poorly noise insulated... why bother with a high dollar car hifi in that?

for great functionality, decent sound, throwback cool with modern touches... https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUCLASSIC.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwwdWVBhA4EiwAjcYJEKelMWiINMg7ZBFnpJNAy_SkYOMzFEXGo8ylm6v6srlvkxfYZJVSWBoC0TIQAvD_BwE

first and foremost, driving that car is about windows down listening to the tires talk to you near the limit - remember, a chirping tire is a happy tire

@jusam 

Where do you feel I should start on my info finding journey? 

why would you not go to a car stereo shop and see

what they can do ?

Assuming you are not going to do the work yourself, I would start by finding a good shop that has a lot of experience with your specific vehicle and can work on it without destroying it. Then see what they recommend for your car. 

a car stereo shop will want to sell what they carry, which is understandable.  Asking questions here is part of what this site is about, music/audio enthusiasts sharing experience....this has been part of this site since Arne started it.